Conservatory Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to upgrade and extend my bungalow this year and this will include a new conservatory. Since this will be south facing I am rather concerned about the heat generated in there (and also restricting the heat loss at other times !).
Currently the bungalow roof is of a 'pyramid' shape but needs retiling, so I intend to add a new apex shape at the rear of the property to which the conservatory will be attached.
A further complication is that the conservatory will sit in front of a small sitting room, so I need to provide sufficient light to that room.
I plan to provide the conservatory with a gable end of glass and I am considering the feasibility of using metal or wooden tiles for the roof, rather than glass - although I may well include glass portals on either side of the apex roof to help aluminate the sitting room.
Any thoughts/comments/advice would be much appreciated, particularly from anyone who has installed a tiled structure.

Sponsored Links
for the price of the tiled conservatories you may be better with an extension with regards to the heat loss/gains. you can still have velux's and glass gables.

If I have a tiled roof, can it still be classified as a conservatory by the planning officer ?
Alternatively, could it be classified as an orangery ?

Sponsored Links
If I have a tiled roof, can it still be classified as a conservatory by the planning officer ?
Alternatively, could it be classified as an orangery ?
It makes no difference. Conservatory/extension - same thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back