Conservatory Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conservatory that has been up 20+ years. I believe the roof was replaced and insulated (badly) 8 years ago and the wall/window to the house removed. I've argued with the surveyor that he should have picked this up, he has been out and mentioned that this would have been done under "permitted development" and after 10 years it would "time lapse" anyway, and he has offered a goodwill payment. Sounds like ******** to me and I'm seeking legal advice but anyway. The roof has a pitch of 8 degrees and is covered in 600 x 300 jutland tiles, hence it leaks like mad. It had wool type insulation below sat between 100 x 70 joists and then clad internally with upvc. The joists are 'notched' to sit over the frames at the front, and on the beam that attaches to the house. (see pics below)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

It leaks and its cold. Eventually I want to replace it completely, probably rebuild the wall and window to the house, or maybe even knock it down and rebuild an extension, but for now I'm skint, and I want to make it water tight and as warm as possible before winter comes. Now my theory is that its been like this no problem for 8 years so if I don't increase the weight then it shouldn't be an issue? I want to cover it with EPDM as the pitch is approx 8 degrees so I was going to do the following, building off the existng joists.

[IMG]

I propose to vent at the eaves and abutment vent at house. This actually lowers the total weight from 272kg to 189kg, this is over dimensions of 4500mm x 2700mm (12.15sqm). I could increase the joist height using 3 x 2 timbers screwed on top of exisitng joists? Allowing for deeper insulation between joists.

I tried a warm roof design below, but this would increase the weight to about 305kg. Again building off the existing joists.

[IMG]

I had thoughts about changing the joist size to C24 6 x 2 tmbers and spacing them out to 600mm to perhaps save some weight. I also thought about adding a ring beam for them to sit on if I did this, and attaching them directing to a timber that was bolted directly to house instead of resting on the old conservatory structure. However this adds costs and weight. I see many conservatory roof companies doing this, but there is a lot of conflicting information online.

I know that is a lot to read and I'm grateful if you made it this far, any thoughts are very much welcomed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back