conservatory sub main?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of building a utility room (small extension) and a conservatory. i was thinking of having a dedicated CU for these two in the utility room. Could i take say a 10mm T&E from a 40Amp MCB on the non RCD side of the house CU to the new CU as kind of a sub main. Or would i have to use a switchfuse and henley blocks and take it from between the house CU and the meter?

the utility room is only small but wil have 3 double sockets on a 2.5mm ring (32amp MCB), the conservatory will be on a 2.5mm radial (20amp MCB) 3 double sockets. there will also be 3, 6amp MCB's for utility room lights, conservatory lights, and outside lights

i will get a qualified sparky to check it once i have finished, its just that i want to as much myself as i can.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
You might like to get an electrician in before you cover up the cables etc. No spark worth his salt would put his monica on a certificate if he had not seen the project through from the begining, he ain't got x-ray vision.
He could then give you the advise you need.

I'm not trying to be unhelpfull but this will require an Electrical Installation Certificate to comply with the regs.

Instead of running the utillity as a ring why not use 4mm & run a radial the same as in the conservatory & use 32amp rcbo.

as you're running so much off this submain (5 circuits?) why not use a 50A MCB and 10mm² SWA, then it will be able to cope with all you throw at it, and future expension (shed electrics?)

Sponsored Links
depends what loads there are..........You may be 100% safe with an extension of the original lighting circuit, and poossibly just a new socket circuit - be it a 4mm radial, or a 32amp ring....

More info on what the circuits actually feed would be good.

Elec heating in the conserve?

Flood lights outside?

Huge lighting inside?

Assume washer/dryer??

thanks for all the responses guys.

the utility room will have a washing machine, microwave, freezer, but nothing more than that. the conservatory wil have a telly, radio, lamp. nothing really power consuming. heating comes from a normal radiator

as for lights there are no major power requirements here, just some strip lights and a couple of 40w spots. the outside light will be one or two 150W PIR units.

i want a ring in the utility room simply because the layout of the sockets sets itself up nicely for a ring. So all in all no massive power requirements needed but some future proof'ness would be nice... i also plan to install a single radial socket on the non RCD side of the utility CU for the freezer.

Is it me, or do the regs in this country seem really excessive. i was looking into part P earlier, it seems great if your a qualified electrician now, they must be overloaded with work. But if it stops DIY'ers killing themselves then perhaps its a good thing. I have always been cautious when doing electrics and i like to know why im doing something before doing it - if you see what i mean. And if in not sure then i either find out or ask.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back