Kitchen Sub Board

H

harrisonline

10mm comes into my kitchen from a 32amp MCB which is protected by a RCD.

If I get a 2 way Sub Board fitted in my kitchen.

What size MCB do I require for the 6mm t/e that goes to my oven?

And the 2.5mm that goes to 2 double and a single socket?

Do I need a Sub CU with RCD if it is already RCD protected?

Sponsored Links
A cooker point is normally rated at 40A

Would you please 'google' your oven type and confirm the load in watts / kwatts.

Would you also confirm the distance of the run for the 10mm from CU to where you intend to have the sub board. If you can confirm how the cable is routed (under floor void, in scree, behind plaster, clipped on wall, through insulation etc) then we can calculate the options for the load the 10mm can take and potentially see if you can up the size of the fuse for this at the main board / CU.

A 2.5mm radial circuit would normally be fused at 20A.

Hi.

Found this.

Max absorbed power (Watt) : 2250-2400

The 10mm cable is about 5 meters away from the CU which is under the stairs. The cable runs under the floor boards and down behind plaster. If you add some on to go up the one wall and down the other. I can only guess that it is between 10 and 15 meters long.

Update the main MCB at the main board from 30A to 40A.

Provide it goes via an RCD there is no need to RCD the sub board. Then at the sub board you can fuse the cooker at 20A (20 x 230v = 4600w) and the radial at 20A (4600w of potential load), with diversity you could add a further 6A or 10A MCB at the sub for other uses, such as lighting / exterior flood lighting.

You should consider Part P stuff (I'll leave it at that :D )

Sponsored Links
harris, your oven can be wired in 1.5mm² cable, which can be supplied from a 13 amp FCU. :rolleyes:

This can in turn be wired into the same circuit as the sockets, but you may wish to leave it seperate.

Thanks. :D

One last thing. Do any of you know of a very small CU to do the job. I have limited space between the units and ceiling and don't really want it inside a unit.

Wylex insulated 5 way is

Height: - 230mm
Width: - 190mm
Depth: - 120mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back