Cooker switch for electric oven and gas hob ignition?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to reduce the number of switches above kitchen worktop, but don't want to do away with them all!

Can a single cooker switch server both an electric oven and gas hob ignition?

Current plan is to have a 32AMP MCB on the non-RCD side of the CU, 6mm wire to cooker switch, then to 2 outlets behind oven.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
will the cable be buried more than 50mm in the wall?
will it be in earthed metal conduit or trunking?
or have mechanical protection over it ( capping does not count ) ?
will the cable construction include and earthed metal sheath?

none of the above?
then it still needs RCD protection.. put it on a 32A RCBO if you don't want it on the RCD side..

oh and yes, your oven and hob igniter should be fine on the same 32A circuit.. put a double socket on the end of the cable from the switch.. ( "outlets" must fuse down.. either FCU's or sockets.. can't just stick a 2KW oven on a 32A circuit.. )

Cable is was planned to go in 35mm deep chasing, with capping on top! It's all just planning at the moment (although that was suggested by electrician).

I will take your RCBO suggestion on board rather than the old 'left of RDC idea', cheers for that.

Oven is 3600W, (hob is say 1W), what fuse for the oven's FCU would you recommend? To be honest I thought it wouldn't need an FCU, just an outlet for an onward flex connection to oven.

stick the circuit on a 16A fuse then.. and don't fuse down the connection to the oven.. 3600 is about 15A..
hob connection needs a 3A fuse in it..

View media item 10929 View media item 10930
your sparky will do all this for you, no need for you to work it out..

and in case you're tellink us porkies.. are you aware of Part P? have a look in the WIKI for more info..

Sponsored Links
Yup am compeltely aware of Part P, I'm just having a lot of work prepared and this forum with my queries is helping greatly in my understanding of what will be needed. 3 days ago I didn't even know the difference between an RCB and a FCU.

(okay... I can't define an FCU and MCB but at least I know where about they sit in the grand scheme of things thanks to everyone!).

I need to power the ignitor on a gas hob. There is no socket or FCU below the work surface that I can use. The simplest solution seems to be to take the cable from the oven and put it into a "MK Control Switch 45A DP 1 Gang + 13a Socket" (which would be mounted below the work surface). Then put a 3 pin plug onto the hob ignition cable and use the 13a socket for the ignitor. Then hardwire the oven to the Control Switch 45A DP 1 Gang + 13a Socket as per the 'Control Switch 45A DP 1 Gang + 13a Socket' that is above the surface ? Seems too simple ? Perhaps against regulations ? But would this not just be the same as using as "...... put a double socket on the end of the cable from the switch.. ( "outlets" must fuse down.. either FCU's or sockets.. can't just stick a 2KW oven on a 32A circuit.. ......" as discussed in "Cooker switch for electric oven and gas hob ignition?" ?

KENV, WTF has that to do with Charlie's topic? Have you hijacked the thread?

If you want a reply then it is much better to start a topic of your own, otherwise people have to read all the way thru Charlies issues (from a year ago) and find something completely different on the end.

TTC - point taken , but question that charlie asked at the start was "Can a single cooker switch server both an electric oven and gas hob ignition?"

the method i suggested does the same job as the one proposed by coljack but simpler to implement (ie both methods end up with a supply to oven and a 3pin socket for the hob ignition .....which is below not above the work surface

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back