Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

A mate and myself are going to plaster his conservatory shortly. I'm new to plastering, he used to do some many years ago...however we'll be OK once we get going I'm sure!!

Question is that half the bricks are accrington brick (on the back of the house) whereas the dwarf wall has the standard brick you see on new builds.

Is there any difference to the bonding coat we should use before multi finish? Hardwall, browning or bonding coat? Or will one of these do for both types of brick?

Cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
Hardwall is suitable for most masonary walls.
Browning for walls with moderate suction
Bonding for low suction walls.

As PBD but you could also use a traditional sand/cement/lime render as a base for both but it’s more difficult to work with.

Has your mate considered battening/lining/skimming what was the old outside wall? Two reasons; firstly, once you slap render/plaster over the bricks, it’ll be very difficult to go back to the original brick finish which could be regrettable if the con’s is ever removed by your mate or someone else in the future. Secondly, battening out & boarding can be very useful for running cabling for speakers, TV/AV systems, power/aerial sockets etc. for flat screen TV’s. ;)

I used to do a lot of plastering for a window firm and all the conservatories I did for them were Dot and Dabbed.

You would find it a lot easier to skim onto board and have a better chance of achieving a good finish.

Sponsored Links
I used to do a lot of plastering for a window firm and all the conservatories I did for them were Dot and Dabbed.
You would find it a lot easier to skim onto board and have a better chance of achieving a good finish.
If you’re a skimmer rather than a plasterer, I agree ;) Con’s installers (and many builders) only do it because they either haven’t costed for plaster work or don’t want to pay for a “proper” plasterer. D&D does have its uses & a couple are as I posted but it’s not the best solution for the rest of it; base & skim every time. ;)

I agree with you there Richard C.

I just did what I was told to do. They were nice to do though cos you could gurantee a nice easy day.

The firm I did it for were very popular as they were cheap, therfore they cut costs on plastering.

I was never going to moan, they gave me a lot of work.

If the OP is a Diyer then he should definately board and skim.

Like I said, he would stand a better chance of getting a decent finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back