Considering: taking a wall out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1920's 3 bed mid terrace, SW16, London.
External walls 9" solid
Internals are single brick (masonry block/whatever they used then.)

Wall is between Kitchen and Back room.
Upstairs layout is the same. (ie supporting another single wall, 2.8m high. The roof supports are more on the front/back room division wall, not this one).

1) A common situation so can we rely on a builder's judgment only, or does it need a separate SE to see and specify it? What's the procedure - does/should the builder get a Building Control approval before proceeding?

2) I gather one padstone can go at the the cross hatched area so no pier necessary. What about the other end? Would it likely cover red/blue/green/yellow or need a pier?

3) ££ - ballpark, how much are we talking?? Ground floor, straightforward to access at rear of house. Assuming the steel is to be boxed/plastered as well.

Thanks for any comments.

Sponsored Links
Its best for you to give BCO a call and let them decide if they are interested - Regs say all structural work is BCO notifiable.

Its a straightforward knock-thro. If floor joists are sitting on the wall its usually best to use a RSJ. Prep the RSJ webs with noggins before raising it in place. Have the pad stones pre-set in place. What kind of props is a site call but all material must be on site before starting.

I have no idea on 2014 London prices during a property boom.

Whether or not you rely on a builder's judgment is up to you. Either way you would need structural calcs to give to Building Control, so may be best speaking with an SE first.

Whether or not you rely on a builder's judgment is up to you. Either way you would need structural calcs to give to Building Control, so may be best speaking with an SE first.
A 152mm x 89mm x 16kg UB will prolly do the trick eh Tone? :p

Sponsored Links
That's 16kg/metre, right? Not all that heavy but I think I'd rather someone else did it!

In Stafford/Manchester what sort of quotes would I be likely to get?

Did the query about the padstone at the inner end /colours, make sense?

A 152mm x 89mm x 16kg UB will prolly do the trick eh Tone? :p

No; good guess though, Nose - you're getting better at this structures thing!
I think he'd be looking at a 178x102 UB on that span and loading.

You'll have to involve your local Building Control as they must be informed if you are having any internal structural work competed (especially any sort of load bearing wall). That'll set you back about £250.

You'll most likely need a 178 x 102 x 19 x 3.8m steel (RSJ), which can be installed by two men and will cost around £200 delivered.

A structural engineer would be able to say for sure about whether you'll need a pier at the inside end of the new opening, but building control might be able to confirm that for you too if their aware of the construction techniques of your building. A structural engineer for a job like yours will cost somewhere between £200 and £400.

If your foundations and inner walls are structurally suitable you'll probably need two padstones sized 440 x 100 x 215 in 20N concrete (slightly cut down on the parallel end if necessary). They'll set you back £30-40 for the pair.

Cost wise, in London I'd say you can expect to pay anywhere between £2000 and £5000 for a job like that including removal or waste rubble, making good, plaster boarding the steel and then plastering where necessary. It all depends on the quality of the professionals. The more you pay the better the end result will likely be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back