Constant overflowing indirect hotwater cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Header exspansion tank on indirect tank constantly overflows I have put a new thermostat in , although I do wonder if this one may of packed up aswell as lastnight water in the top tank was red hot and today the water is cold , I have drained the cylinder totally and refilled as needed to move it. Mfi 30/180 Albion indirect cylinder. Its heated by an oilfired boiler. I have also replaced the ball valve . Can someone please advise what the problem might be and how to test for it etc please

Sponsored Links
Mixer taps on bath and kitchen sink Oil fired boiler is a Turco 2000 have no hot water from boiler either.

Have you been using your immersion to heat the water then?

Have you been running the bath taps with both hot and cold running at the same time?

Do you have heating?

It Also sounds like you have a seperate issue with a motorised valve.

Sponsored Links
Yes I had been using the immersion this last week as I was waiting on an oil delivery. I could hear the motorised valve starting. But whether its actually working I don't know, I am not familiar with the heating system as only lived in the house 3mths and everything has been a nightmare. I would normally pay for a plumber but I've had a week from hell had my wallet and mobile phone stolen and a customer from hell who has decided not to pay their bill z z z . So as you can imagine im a bit broke.

I hope you did not run the oil tank to the bottom!

Let the oil stand for a few hours after it is delivered to let any dirt settle.

Tony

Yeah sadly I did and I think its spluttering because of the muck from the bottom to the tank as well. Well I think ill buy a new element and motorised valve I presume that should stop the tank from overflowing , their cant be much else I can replace other than if the thermostat needs renewing again. The boiler seems to be doing something as you can very quietly hear it humming and the pipe from it is hot so is the pump. But def no hot water and boiler doesn't seem to fire up like it would normally. I presume at some point they clear themselves and the crap burns out ??? Any advice is much appreciated please.

Could it be the coil in the cylinder letting by/leaking. I had a similar problem with the heating header tank filling up. Three float valves later i was told i had the coil problem.

Could it be the coil in the cylinder letting by/leaking. I had a similar problem with the heating header tank filling up. Three float valves later i was told i had the coil problem.

I agree, split in cylinder coil

Drain the heating system and see if the cylinder also empties. Or drain the heating and disconnect at the coil connections on the cylinder - there should be no water in the coil when the cylinder is full but heating drained.

wouldn't know where to start to drain it from here I presume any rad would do downstairs and I wouldn't know how to refill it either so now I am stuck ;-(

I presume actually the cylinder header tank will naturally refill the radiators again apart from me needing to bleed them ??

cn you please confirm that I just need to totally drain the radiators down the check cylinder as you stated please ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back