Constructing a bath panel ready for tiling (with doors)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've already posted a similar thread in the bathroom section but I guess this would be a job for a joiner so for all you joiners/carpenters out there;

I want to tile the side of the bath rather than use the cheap looking acrylic bath panel. So, I thought I'd use 12mm WBP, fixed in place onto batons running vertically from the timber floor to the timber of the bath. I want to design in access to the pipework at the tap end in case of leaks/servicing the taps etc.

So my question is, has anyone done this before and got any tips? What is the best way to construct a door in the ply - before or after tiling? I don't intend to do the bathroom tiling myself, getting a pro in. The tiles are mosaic 2.5cm x 2.5cm, they come in sheets 30cm square.

Many thanks for your advice.

JD

Sponsored Links
Make a frame for the panel from 50x50PAR, cover with aquapanel, hardibacker or Wediboard not ply.

For access its a lot less hastle to use these

Jason

Make a frame for the panel from 50x50PAR, cover with aquapanel, hardibacker or Wediboard not ply.
Thanks that product ooks like a good idea, why not WBP though? I have a load in the garage and I've used it for all the other joinery in the bathroom, so you've got me worried!

Many thanks.

The ply will expand & contract with changes in humidity which over time may cause the adhesive bond to fail.

Jason

Sponsored Links
The ply will expand & contract with changes in humidity which over time may cause the adhesive bond to fail.
Oh christ please tell me that's not the case! I've done all the boxing in the bathroom in exterior plywood. I knew I might have to seal it with pva solution or preservative/sealer before the tiler applies the tiles but I thought wbp was the reecommended stuff to use in bathrooms.

Here's hoping!

ply will expand,but i always use plasterboard and never had any problems.

ply will expand,but i always use plasterboard and never had any problems.
I don't get using plasterboard myself, surely it's not strong enough? I mean if someone fell against it surely it would break?

I really wouldn't worry about your WBP ply as it's an exterior grade ply which means that it's waterproof. As for delamination due to moisture this simply won't happen as the glue used is Water and Boil Proof. Im my experience this ply hasn't delaminated and i use it for soffits and boxes and its stood me well.

Plasterboard is plenty strong enough for the job, but plasterboard is not waterproof and when water spills over the sid of the bath then it will become soggy and will fall apart. Also using plasterboard means that access is very difficult under the bath.

I totally agree with you. It's an old thread this one, in the end I was lazy and used the bath panel that came with the bath! Might "upgrade" some day though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back