Constructing shelving unit for tile library

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to everyone,

I'm opening a new tile shop and we're looking at constructing some shelving systems to act as 'tile libraries' for our floor tiles.

Please see the attached images which indicate some ideas we're considering. You can see from Picture 1 that the tiles are freestanding, either supported in a channel (metal or cut-out timber) or rest against a metal rail (see Picture 2 and 3).

There will be some weight in the shelves and I would like to have lighting in as in the first picture. Some shelves will be freestanding, some will stand against a wall.

So, I guess i'm after advice on the construction. There are some questions in particular i'm looking at:

Would you advise constructing a frame (maybe out of 2x2) and cladding this in mdf?
What material would give the best finish?
Where can I get metal channels/rods from?
If I had the tiles sit in a routed-out channel, what material should I use (i think thick ply?) and where can I get it cut according to a CAD drawing?

For that last question, in my current shop I have tiles sitting in a routed channel however I used thin mdf and the channels ended up different thicknesses which wasn't ideal.

Thanks for any help at all - very much appreciated.

If anyone is in the manchester/cheshire area and would be interested in making these and other joinery please get in touch and we can chat.

If you have any queries about tiles etc please ask me and will try to help!

Again, thanks very much for any help

Abbas

Sponsored Links
You could try
www.ripple.co.uk

They design and manufacture all sorts of shop displays etc

If you do, tell them John B from Derby let you know. ;) ;) ;)

PS Moderator. This isn't spam. ;) ;)

mdf and heavy weights needs lots off support as mdf will sag under its own weight

the bottom unit would be ideal for mdf as you have a lip on the front and full support on the back

might be easier to look at one off the metal racking systems
or even a closing down sale because when the stocks sold the fixtures are redundant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back