Construction query

Not sure what you are concerned about, the offset in the wall will give it some stability and as others say the first floor joists/floor will provide lateral stability.

Sponsored Links
The guidance to the regs on structure (google 'Approved Document A') recommends that laterally-unsupported walls are no longer than 12m between intersecting walls.
In your case, I would guess the floor joists are probably running left-to-right, and these will provide some lateral restraint to the wall in the vertical plane. Additionally, you have a buttress in the form of the chimney.
Why are you concerned about this wall?

The guidance to the regs on structure (google 'Approved Document A') recommends that laterally-unsupported walls are no longer than 12m between intersecting walls.
Yes, and as I said the offset in the wall has a buttressing effect anyway, so I think there shouldn't be any concern now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back