Consumer box - replace 16amp with 32amp

Sponsored Links
It might be possible to change to a C-curve 16A breaker and alleviate the start-up trip problem, but that's still subject to existing wiring being suitable.

It might be possible to change to a C-curve 16A breaker and alleviate the start-up trip problem, but that's still subject to existing wiring being suitable.
Indeed, but it's probably a more likely (even if not all that likely!) bet than contemplating changing it to a B32 - the EFLI requirements (and ability to cope with inrush currents) would be the same in both cases (and quite possibly not satisfied) but, with the latter, it's also quite likely that the existing cable would not be adequate for a 32A OPD.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As you will have seen, it is said to have an 1800W 230V motor.
Yes, I saw that. What do the instructions say about the electrical supply requirements?
Like you, I haven't seen any 'instructions' which say anything about that. However, I would assume that it requires the same supply as any other equipment which consisted (electrically) of just an 1800W motor - like a good few of the power tools I have, and at least one of my vacuum cleaners.

Maybe the question we should be asking the OP is whether it came with a fitted 13A plug - since all my "1800W motor thingies" do.

Kind Regards, John

HI, yeah standard 13a plug. don't believe it requires a 32 supply , have seen a few more comments where its the initial switching on that is tripping it. i'm happy enough the product is safe when connected to my internal sockets which are 32.

(Yes, I saw that. What do the instructions say about the electrical supply requirements?)
i dont have the instructions to hand so not sure if any specific details but dont think so as i did have a read through when issue originally happened to find solution to fuse tripping.

Last edited:
Like you, I haven't seen any 'instructions' which say anything about that.
Indeed.

And it was because I hadn't seen them that I asked the OP what they said - you telling me what I'd already seen and which didn't answer the question wasn't much use.

HI, yeah standard 13a plug. don't believe it requires a 32 supply , have seen a few more comments where its the initial switching on that is tripping it. i'm happy enough the product is safe when connected to my internal sockets which are 32.
IMO if it's fitted with a plug, and the instructions do not specify any particular supply requirements, then if it does not work on any "valid" socket circuit it is not fit for purpose.

IMO if it's fitted with a plug, and the instructions do not specify any particular supply requirements, then if it does not work on any "valid" socket circuit it is not fit for purpose.

it does work on my two 32amp sockets inside house though, not sure why garage is 16amp but sure it was enough when installed.

In the absence of any advice to the contrary you had every right to expect it to work on a 16A radial.

it does work on my two 32amp sockets inside house though, not sure why garage is 16amp but sure it was enough when installed.
They're all 13A sockets, even if some are protected by a 32A MCB and others by a 16A one. The point is that, whilst a 16A MCB is more than adequate for the running current of the motor, its start-up current might trip a Type B 16A MCB. A 32A MCB would allow twice as much start-up current without tripping. ... so that could well be what you're experiencing. I have plenty of things with ~1800W motors which have never tripped anything, but I don't think I've never tried running any of them off a 16A circuit - they are always plugged in to 32A ring circuits.

However, as BAS has said, if the instructions do not say/warn anything to the contrary, you would have every right to expect that it would work satisfactorily off any properly installed 13A socket, including one protected by a 16A Type B MCB.

Having said that, whilst (if there are no such instructions/warnings), if you had nothing better to do, you could moan, and maybe even get your money back, it wouldn't really help you (assuming you want/need a saw), since exactly the same problem is likely to exist with any comparable saw when run off your current 16A garage circuit. Given our assumptions, the only solutions would be to replace the existing (assumed Type B) 16A MCB with either a Type C 16A one or a Type B 32A one, either of which solutions (particularly the latter) might require the cable to be upgraded - you need an electrician to advise about that.

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2, yeah thats pretty much where i am. don't think there is an issue with product, its in full working order in what i expected to be 32amp fuse. im happy to use extension in short term and will look to getting cables checked/upgraded if it becomes an issue.

JohnW2, yeah thats pretty much where i am. don't think there is an issue with product, its in full working order in what i expected to be 32amp fuse. im happy to use extension in short term and will look to getting cables checked/upgraded if it becomes an issue.
Fair enough. I agree that there is almost certainly nothing wrong with the product, but I also agree with BAS that if it is known that there are likely to be problems if it is used on a 16A circuit, the instructions/specification really ought to say so.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back