Oven wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a bit of guidance from you kind chaps if poss.

I have just bought a new double oven which is 4.8kw to replace my current single one which just plugs straight into a normal socket. So am I right in thinking this now needs to be on its own circuit back to the consumer unit and with an isolator switch in it as well?

Problem is I have a electrician mate who I was gonna get to do this all for me so ripped the old one out only to realize he is away for a week and will no doubt be busy when he gets back.

My plan is to get everything in place so he can quickly just wire it up.

The run to the consumer unit is only about 3 meters max. I think I am right in using 6mm cable and I was going to fix a 45 amp switch to the wall next to it to isolate it. Also do I get a 32amp or 20amp for the CU?

My other worry is the main switch in the CU says total load not to exceed 80amps. Currently it has a 40amp, 6amp, 6amp, 16amp, 16amp and 32amp will it be ok to add the oven to this?

Sorry if ive gone on a bit thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have just bought a new double oven which is 4.8kw to replace my current single one which just plugs straight into a normal socket. So am I right in thinking this now needs to be on its own circuit back to the consumer unit and with an isolator switch in it as well?
Yes.

Problem is I have a electrician mate who I was gonna get to do this all for me so ripped the old one out only to realize he is away for a week and will no doubt be busy when he gets back.
Mmmm.

My plan is to get everything in place so he can quickly just wire it up.
It would be better to do what he wants, rather than us.

The run to the consumer unit is only about 3 meters max. I think I am right in using 6mm cable and I was going to fix a 45 amp switch to the wall next to it to isolate it. Also do I get a 32amp or 20amp for the CU?
4mm² will do and 32A unless you use a lesser rated flex for the oven..

My other worry is the main switch in the CU says total load not to exceed 80amps. Currently it has a 40amp, 6amp, 6amp, 16amp, 16amp and 32amp will it be ok to add the oven to this?
Yes, that will be fine.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So is it ok for me to do everything and just get him to check it and then connect it up to the CU or am I putting him in an awkard position?
Should he do all the work himself?

thanks again

He should at least supervise you.

If it's all still visible (although I know you said it's only three metres) for him to check then it should be alright.
Do you know about cable routing - safe zones?
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

Because it is a new circuit it must be notified to the LA Building control, either -
by you before the work starts or

by him on completion if he is registered.

Sponsored Links
So is it ok for me to do everything and just get him to check it and then connect it up to the CU or am I putting him in an awkard position?
Should he do all the work himself?
As ELI has mentioned in previous replies, the best approach is to, take guidance from the electrician that is going to commission and take responsibility for this work. There maybe something that you have overlooked or are not aware of the issue, that you have not informed us about in your post, which could be relative to offering you the best/safest solution.

Such as cable routing and methods of installation: Is the cable being run within conduit/trunking, through thermal insulated area.
As these factors could mean that the cable size would need to be increased, to safely carry the load current.
Can the cable run within the permitted safe zones or will extra measured by required to make the cable safe. If chasing out of solid walls or holing joists are you aware of the building regulations that govern these and the permitted depth of chases and the permitted use of joist holes.

Does you consumer unit offer RCD (30mA) protection to this circuit (applicable to non-mechanically protected cable, to be buried less than 50mm within walls).

Then once you have installed in compliance to the relative standards, then every thing must be left visible for your electrician friend to come and commission the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back