fitted oven (s) breaker box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy's.

I got a bosh series 6 single self cleaning oven (16amps)
And a bosh series 6 combination oven (16amps)

Both have fitted leads like you would see on a kettle.

They are connected to a dual appliance connection point. That goes to the isolation switch (40amp fitted with 6mm to the connection plate and to the fb.

Now the fuze box that's fitted is a wylex with a 6 amp mcb that runs a 3amp shower. And a 32amp rcd.

I was advised to get a 32 mcb for the 2 ovens and a 42 rcd.

The oven isolate switch has the 3a cooker hood spurred from it

Sponsored Links
I'm not clear as to how this 6mm2 cable is currently connected.

Has this cooking circuit only recently been installed, and not yet connected to the mains?

You have wylex 6 amp mcb that does a power shower... is this the only power circuit in the whole dwelling??!!

Hi. No its an additional cu thats joined to the fuse box. Its not a power shower its a digital shower.

Yes it's a new circuit that's connected but not commissioned yet.

The 6mm cable comes from the additional cu to the cooker switch that then goes to the dual appliance plate that the ovens connect to .

The additional cu was connected to the meeter using hendly block. ?. The meeter has a 6 mcb and 32 rdc only

You mean the ADDITIONAL CU has a 6 mcb and 32 rcd?

If you intend to add your cooker circuit to this additional consumer unit, you first need to see if there's room to accomodate another circuit.

You also need to see if the 'tails' from the Henley block to the additional cu are large enough to cope with the extra load.

In principal, an RCD main incomer rated at 40A and a 6amp mcb and a 32amp mcb sound ok, assuming everything is done properly and the tails are of the correct size.

I take it the original consumer unit can't accomodate any more circuits?

Another alternative is to replace the main original cu and the additional cu for one brand spanking new up to date super duper cu stuffed with RCDs.

Sponsored Links
Both have fitted leads like you would see on a kettle.
Most kettles these days have separate bases like this:

screenshot_1196.jpg

The use of an IEC 60320 C16 inlet on the kettle and a C15 connector on the cable used to be common - is that how your ovens are connected?

I was advised to get a 32 mcb for the 2 ovens and a 42 rcd.
Advised by whom?

Why a 32A breaker?

What's a "42 RCD"?

No its an additional cu thats joined to the fuse box.
You say that. But then below you also said it's supplied directly, via Henley blocks, not from the fuse box.

Yes it's a new circuit that's connected but not commissioned yet.
If that's the case then it must have an MCB already or it isn't a circuit.

If you change the MCB then the circuit will need re-certifying, and Building Regulations approval obtained.

The meeter has a 6 mcb and 32 rdc only
The meter has? No, it doesn't.

Please don't do this work yourself - you really don't seem to have a good enough grasp of what's involved.

Lol ban all sheds. Typing on a small phone.

The main cu doesnt have a rcd its a wired fuse one.

The additional cu was a existing one, it used to run a 10kw shower. Had a 40 rcd allready installed. And working with the shower.The 10mm cable was swapped for 1.5mm to shower.

This cu was connected using the hendly block (a spark done this work).

A cu upgrade is on the cards. Will get done when smart meter is installed.
The wired fuse box can't accommodate any more circuits. It has 2 of each fuse 5,15 and 30amp

It was a 40rcd I ment . Ive hit the wrong number (small screen).

It was a spark at work that says using diversity both units won't be using full power so a 32 would do (2x16 amps but have the added 3a) and a 40 rcd. To protect cable.

I ment the old style kettle lead or monitor lead lol .both are powered using the "kettle lead"

Ban. I ment cu. Although I said meter. I was tired lol.

Oh no. I've tried to resist it, but I feel an "electronic transformer" moment coming on...

Lol ban all sheds. Typing on a small phone.
Hopefully you have learnt a useful generic lesson on how things can go wrong if you use an inappropriate tool.

The additional cu was a existing one
"Was"? I thought you still have it?

A cu upgrade is on the cards. Will get done when smart meter is installed.
Is it too late for you to change your mind about the smart meter?

It was a 40rcd I ment . Ive hit the wrong number (small screen).
Using the wrong tool can result in wrong things happening.

It was a spark at work that says using diversity both units won't be using full power so a 32 would do (2x16 amps but have the added 3a)
One of you doesn't know what he is talking about.

How could "not using full power" turn 2 x 16A appliances into 32A?

Even if these were 16A loads, which they are not.

and a 40 rcd. To protect cable.
RCDs do not protect cables. One of you doesn't know what he's talking about.

I ment the old style kettle lead or monitor lead lol .both are powered using the "kettle lead"
Those connectors are rated at 10A.

Hi ban

Its cause the instructions say to use 16amp protection.

Smart meter aint final and can b cancelled. Only wanted it for the energy usage display and free leccy on a Sunday/Saturday

Had a look at the wylex cu. It has a 6 mcb and 40rcd so just need to put a 32mcb in for oven. Should the 40rcd be uprated to a higher one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back