Consumer Unit Enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm refitting a kitchen at the moment and I think I've got everything organised apart from the consumer unit.

The existing unit sits above a wall cupboard and to be honest it's an eyesore.

I've thought about various options from covering it/boxing it in to replacing it with a shiny new one.

I was checking out the price of a 'shiny new one' on screwfix and I noticed they sell empty enclosures, which aren't that expensive.

I don't actually need a new consumer unit, the existing one handles the load and still has spare capacity for more breakers, so I'm trying to find an empty enclosure the same as mine so I can replace the front cover.

There's a couple of photos here that show my existing unit, anyone got any ideas....
a, where I might get one
b, if Hager make empty enclosures? (so far I've only found hager enclosures with switches already in)
c, is there any chance these things are standard? would a different brand of faceplate fit (assuming it had the right number of holes for the switches)?

cu1.jpg

cu2.jpg

[/img]

Sponsored Links
you could look on ebay for the model or contact local wholesalers.
There's place near me that's a bit of breakers yard for electrical equipment and components. There could be something like that near you.
By the way could be a good idea to get the rest of your spares covered.

When you say get the rest of the spares covered - I'm assuming you're talking about the copper contacts on that bottom rail?

I've never seen inside one of these before - I only took the cover off it for the first time this morning!

Can you buy the plastic caps?
Are those contacts live in any way? do I need to turn the master switch off before I push them on?
Do I need a sparky to do it?

Thanks.

When you say get the rest of the spares covered - I'm assuming you're talking about the copper contacts on that bottom rail?
Yes, i think that is what PBOD is referring to.
I've never seen inside one of these before - I only took the cover off it for the first time this morning!

Are those contacts live in any way?
yes, very live, CAUTION!
do I need to turn the master switch off before I push them on?
Yes, very much so, CAUTION!
Do you feel that a sparky ought to do it? Its simple, but if you're not comfortable doing it.....

Sponsored Links
I've never seen those plastic caps.

I have a Hager (two in fact) and neither have them. The plastic infill module does, however, slot onto the live busbar IIRC. Perhaps this is an older Hager enclosure.

Yes, i think that is what PBOD is referring to.

Are those contacts live in any way?
yes, very live, CAUTION!
do I need to turn the master switch off before I push them on?
Yes, very much so, CAUTION!
Do you feel that a sparky ought to do it? Its simple, but if you're not comfortable doing it.....

That about says it all.

Guys, thanks for the advice so far... much appreciated.

Back to the original question.
I've spoken to Hager and between us we've managed to work out that my enclosure is an IECOS 66-6H.

They don't make them any more (they're 10+ years old) so they won't be selling me a new front cover.

I'm interested to hear of electrical breakers yards - has anyone got a number for one?

Many thanks.

Sometimes you can get lucky at the wholesalers, they may be able to either source one or inform you of where you could find one. I don't live in your area so not aware of anywhere close by, someone may though.

I'm refitting a kitchen at the moment and I think I've got everything organised apart from the consumer unit.
Was there any electrical work associated with this refit?

I've thought about various options from covering it/boxing it in to replacing it with a shiny new one.
The former will be easier.

I don't actually need a new consumer unit, the existing one handles the load and still has spare capacity for more breakers,
How many unused slots are there on the RCD side of the split?

would a different brand of faceplate fit (assuming it had the right number of holes for the switches)?
No chance.

if you're just interested in looks, you could clean it up, mask it off and give it a coat of plasticote.. spray paint made for plastic..

alternatively, you could always get some "sticky back plastic" from somewhere like B&Q and cover it.. they do all sorts of colours and even patterns like woor grain..
you might be able to get something close to the rest of the kitchen..

For your own safety please get that cover back on that CU and do not take it off again without switching off the main switch !

is it possible to box around it and have a easy to open door, leave pleanty of room around it incase it ever needs changing and ensure that the cover can easily be removed. always switch off before removing cover and remember that even with the main switch off that the two fat cables going into the top of the main switch will always be live.

Again guys, many thanks for all your advice.

ColJack - that it my current way of thinking - I had just thought of Plasticote so I think that's the way forward.
I did also consider fablon - but I think plasticote would be better - I'll see.

Ricicle - will do - I appreciate your concern - in general though I am ultra careful with stuff like this.

Final question... promise...

PBOD suggested to me I should cover the spare contacts.
I still don't know where to get the covers from? leccy wholesaler I guess?
What's the deal with not covering them?
I'm not ignoring your advice, it's just they clearly haven't been covered for many years and nothing too bad has happened so far?

Thanks again.

C.

The deal with the uninsulated copper bus bar...

that copper is only protected by the main fuse protecting the house, nothing else. ( that might be 100A?)
It might be a very small chance of happening, but if you happened to touch it, there is a possibility you will start to do the uncontrollable funky-electron dance and smell like an over cooked hog-roast.

Hmmm, crispy ;)

:confused: if the cover's just dirty, why not just clean it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back