Consumer unit for shed/summerhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking for some advice.

I will be building a summerhouse in a couple of months and want to run electricity to it, I currently have a shed with electricity but I need to change the consumer unit and wanted to see what would be the best size to buy as I want to start buying things now.
From the consumer unit I would be running a chest freezer and a tumble dryer and a light and in the summerhouse probably 3 or 4 double sockets (will probably use an electric heater for now) and a light.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Can we go back to basics here.
How does electricity get to the shed?
How does it connect to the electric supply in the house?
And
There’s a consumer unit in the shed?
How many ways?
What are the ratings of the MCBs?

Hi, the shed already has electricity in it through an old consumer unit(in the shed), this shed has the tumble dryer, socket for chest freezer and a light in it, this is fed from a consumer unit in the house (I cannot remember the mcb rating at the minute in the house).
I want to replace the existing unit in the shed to run the items mentioned plus additional items in the summerhouse 3 or 4 double sockets (will probably use a plug in electric heater for now) and a light.

Hope this helps

Thanks

What you are proposing are notifiable works to building control.
Do you have the knowledge and ability to design and calculate cable sizes, and to test the installation and issue the necessary certification?

Sponsored Links
I am going to get someone to do the work for me I just wanted to get all the parts I needed in advance..Thks

In theory you can DIY, in practice the LABC charges are so high simply not worth DIY unless breaking the law. Tumble drier is the stumbling block, it uses a lot of power, so power will likely need to come from the house consumer unit and with 4 mm² or 6 mm² steel wired armoured cable, consideration has to be made where to put the RCD or RCBO and work out volt drop etc. It could even use 5 core cable and have independent lighting and power supply.

Main point some one has to design it, and install it, and inspect and test it and sign to say they have done it. I found Cheshire LABC reasonably helpful unlike across the boarder into Flintshire, but also have to consider if you tell the LABC will you need other planning permission?

Former prime minister David Cameron was an unlikely trend setter, when, in 2017, he bought a £25,000 shepherd's hut.
now why do you think it was on wheels? Could it be because it does not need planning permission? I don't know the rules, but you can't un-notify once done it is done, and I pay £1000 a year extra council tax because some one before I bought this house had the garage classed as an annex.

I would say better to have a scheme member electrician notify so no LABC inspector visits.

I am going to get someone to do the work for me I just wanted to get all the parts I needed in advance..Thks
Don’t do that. There are so many things that you don’t know.
For instance, many shed supplies are put there to provide a minimal supply. Often this is taken as a spur from a house circuit and protected by a 13A fused connection unit. If this is the case for you then the supply is barely sufficient to power your freezer and tumble. Just putting a bigger consumer unit in is not going to magic up more power!

sorry, you can’t design this sort of thing, and get a shopping list, on an Internet forum. You’ll not save any money by buying the wrong materials. You are going to need a registered electrician anyway. Most will have trade account discounts, so you won’t save any money that way. Find your electrician and he/she will tell you what’s needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back