Electric to summerhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate some advice after being let down by 2 electricians.

Basically:-

1. Summerhouse is 30m's away from household consumer unit.
2. Summerhouse is split in 2, summerhouse part and shed/workshop part.
3. Summerhouse part will have 4 double sockets, supplying tv/dvd and a couple of lamps.
4. Shed part will also have 4 double sockets, supplying power tools and fridge freezer.
5. There will be spot lights in both sections of the summerhouse with external spots in the sofit along the front and on the decking.

Now I'm pretty sure that this will need it's own consumer unit but I need advice on the size of armoured cabling, bearing in mind the distance, and anything else I should be looking out for.

Many thanks,

S.

Sponsored Links

Please find another electrician. There are too many parameters involved in the supply to an external building for a novice/DIYer to know about with regard to safety.

10mm swa, is good for 40 amp, buried over the external route and clipped in open air under floor void.

I'd suggest it goes via a switch fuse, Henley block and direct to mains supply.

Far end a small cu populated something like

20 amp radials x 2 for socket circuits, 6 amp radial for lighting via rcds or better still rcbo's.

Please find another electrician. There are too many parameters involved in the supply to an external building for a novice/DIYer to know about with regard to safety.

Thanks for the advice ricicle. Was not planning on doing this myself anyway, just wanted to gain some knowledge of what I was in for before trying a third electrician in case he tries to rip me off.

Sponsored Links
10mm swa, is good for 40 amp, buried over the external route and clipped in open air under floor void.

I'd suggest it goes via a switch fuse, Henley block and direct to mains supply.

Far end a small cu populated something like

20 amp radials x 2 for socket circuits, 6 amp radial for lighting via rcds or better still rcbo's.

Chri5, many thanks for your response and guidance. As I said to ricicle above, now I know what I'm in for I can feel confident that I'm not going to get ripped off when I eventually manage to get an electrician to turn up!

Thanks once again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back