Wiring lights in a summerhouse (can I run cable on outside of summerhouse)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm expecting delivery of a summerhouse soon. I have mains out to the area where the summerhouse is coming and planning on getting this connected to a small consumer unit for lights/sockets in the summerhouse.

The summerhouse is a 'log' type with 44mm 'logs' and is single-skinned so there's not plasterboard to run the cables behind.

I wondered what was required in order to run cables out through the 'logs' and then along the outside of the building and back in, in order to wire up wall lights and sockets?

Does anyone know if this is allowed? I realise it may not be aesthetically pleasing to everyone but thought it might be an alternative from using plastic conduit inside the summerhouse?

I thought about using armoured cable and then running it along the sides of the summerhouse outside and then drilling back through to mount sockets / wall lights as necessary?

Have you any advice on a better way to achieve this?

Sponsored Links
I would say mineral insulated cable is the best where there is fire risk and problems making it look good. This is the norm for things like churches where cables can't be hidden.

But it requires skill and not really a DIY job. So next best is Ali-Tube can be dressed to some extent like MIC but far easier to terminate.

Yep we used bare MI in the last log cabin we did, looked smart as. It can be easily dressed around the logs, and stays where it is put without having to use loads of cable fixings. It's the only cable I'd recommend, but as above it's not suitable for DIY installation. Bare MI should not be used on fresh oak as it will corrode the sheath.

I'm not sure what you mean by 44mm logs.

That sounds more like sticks than logs.

Can the wiring not be run on the inside then?

If you've got a picture this would certainly help ME.

Sponsored Links
I wondered what was required in order to run cables out through the 'logs' and then along the outside of the building and back in, in order to wire up wall lights and sockets?

Does anyone know if this is allowed? I realise it may not be aesthetically pleasing to everyone but thought it might be an alternative from using plastic conduit inside the summerhouse?
It will look truly dreadful, and create multiple opportunities for leaks.

Don't even think about it.

I thought about using armoured cable and then running it along the sides of the summerhouse outside and then drilling back through to mount sockets / wall lights as necessary?

Use an electrician.

You need Building Regulations approval for the electrics anyway, so using a registered electrician will be the simplest way.

Make sure you find one who can do MICC/Pryo.

If it is with 'logs' like that at least the surface will be flat, which will be much eaisier to install on. We had full tree trunks to contend with!

Thanks for all the great advice.

Sparkwright, ban-all-sheds is bang on the money with his link. The 'logs' are exactly like that.

I'll look into finding a registered spark who can do MICC/Pyro as per ban-all-sheds suggestion. I'd never heard of that but it sounds ideal.

Thanks again for all your sage advice.

Cheers :)

Not my photo, this is from the pyro master @RF Lighting. I'm sure he probably has better examples he could show you.

full

It's a great wiring system, the cables are very compact and discrete compared to other wiring types. Installed properly it should never need replacing. I stuck some round the side of my house for a socket and lights. (photo not good in the dark and rain:( ) Roller straighteners at the ready!
Echo MI.JPG

Hi all,

I'm expecting delivery of a summerhouse soon. I have mains out to the area where the summerhouse is coming and planning on getting this connected to a small consumer unit for lights/sockets in the summerhouse.

The summerhouse is a 'log' type with 44mm 'logs' and is single-skinned so there's not plasterboard to run the cables behind.

Why can't the cables be run on the inside?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back