Outside electrics for summerhouse...

Sponsored Links
Cheers AME, my faith has been restored!

That was in fact the undoubtadley going to be the final answer, water, electric and strucural are deffinatly the three areas i like to stay well away from.
In fact, with the clay i've got in my back garden, anyone one would definately WANT me to dig the trenches!!! :LOL:

At the end of the day, if you don't know - you don't know - so how will you know? wired logic but it works!
Ever heard of "no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers"?

I think softus hit the nail on the head :eek: - no problem with that. I am more than happy to get an answer of "you F'ing lunatic, if you do that - you will die", or similar.

unfortunatly, there always seems to be a high ratio of "ugh, get-a-pro-in [sounds of nuckles strapping], you fick and no nuff-ink type responses : something resembling remotely helpful.

i've got a least a dozen sarky comments for the likes of oharaf but to be honest.....i can't be ars*&d!

cheers again AME, a very good response

there are plenty of stupid questions..
"how long is a piece of string?"
"will it hurt if I stab myself in the eye with a pencil?"
to name just 2..

anyway, that aside..

you could install a "duct" from your house to the summer house for the electrician to put his cable in..

drain pipe works well..

as long as stated above that you bury it at 450 deep ( guidelines vary depending on who you ask, it just has to be out of range of your average garden spade or fork.. ), bed it on sifted sand ( not sure if you need this with a duct? ) and cover it with more sand and electrical warning tape.

take photo's along it's length prior to filling in showing the depth with a tape measure ( just to satisfy the electrician that it's deep enough should he ask ), and again with the warning tape in place..

it's highlt recomended that you put a pull rope through the pipe before you burry it, and that you glue the pipe and drill small holes in the underside of it to prevent any water getting in / let it drain out..

radiusd bends are preferable to 45's..

Sponsored Links
...glue the pipe and drill small holes in the underside of it to prevent any water getting in / let it drain out....
Will you humour me with a little experiment?

Get 3 short pieces of drainpipe, and 2 45° or 90° bends, and glue them together to make a 'U' shaped assembly. Choose the sizes such that the thing will fit in your bath.

Drill small holes in the underside of the bottom section of the U.

Fill the bath with water, and lower the assembly in, keeping the open ends above the surface.

Describe to us how the fact that the joints were glued prevented water from getting in... ;)

I was thinking more along the lines of "hold middle of the same U section under a running tap".. to prevent water that is percolating through the ground from above from simply seeping in at the unglued seems..

yes if the duct happens to be under the level of the water table then it will fill up with water..

and the small holes is to let any water out that runs in at the open ends which will obviously be pointing upwards..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back