Outside electrics for summerhouse...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although i can remember a little electrics from college i think i'll put this one to the pro's....

I've put a summerhouse at the bottom of the garden, i wanted to have it connected up to the main house permenantly by means of laying underground cable etc, but a thought occured (maybe i should'nt have [thought] but here goes...)

I have an external (sgl/dbl) socket from the house put on the outside wall - for lawnmower etc, and have a single on on the summerhouse at the other end conected up to two double sockects in the summer house, could i run some 2.5mm arctic cable along the fence with a plug on each end to make the connection. it would then be able to be packed away when not needed in the winter etc...

what sort of problems might i look forward to?

I would expect to be running a drill charger and mitre saw at the same time or have say a fridge on but not both at the same time.

Sponsored Links
could i run some 2.5mm arctic cable along the fence with a plug on each end to make the connection.
No. :evil:

it would then be able to be packed away when not needed in the winter etc...
Idiot.

what sort of problems might i look forward to?
An unwitting person unplugging the live end, touching the pins and thereby being electrocuted. Then the funeral expenses, the trial, and finally the prison sentence.

I would expect to be running a drill charger and mitre saw at the same time or have say a fridge on but not both at the same time.
You're not qualified even to switch on a 'fridge.

Alright lads now we've told him what a sh1te idea he has had how about giving him some good advice!!!!

Let me start........................

IMHO I would call a qualified electrician :D

Sponsored Links
What you propose is called a Widow Maker, for good reason.

> with a plug on each end

This is called a Suicide Plug for what should be obvious reasons.

a) run an decent quality extension lead as required with SOCKET on the end AND verify the socket you plug into at the house has working RCD protection

b) have a spark in and do not suggest your other solution to him

similar to what i was expecting, although not quite as tame! :eek:

How deep would a cable need to be burried along the garden? would it have to be armoured, or could it run through some form of conduit?

Could the connection at the house, likely run from the existing socket circuit, or would it need to be on a seperate one? (only want about 4 sockets in the summer house)

similar to what i was expecting, although not quite as tame! :eek:
Well why did you even ask then? :evil:

How deep would a cable need to be burried along the garden? would it have to be armoured, or could it run through some form of conduit?
Don't even go there. Get a professional to do it.

Could the connection at the house, likely run from the existing socket circuit, or would it need to be on a seperate one? (only want about 4 sockets in the summer house)
"4 sockets" could mean up to 52 Amps, so you need to stop thinking that you understand what safety means, and pay someone who really does.

Admitidly the original question is a classic example of not thinking it through ( a pre-cursor for common sence). :oops:

Having read the replies, the suicide lead would not be a good option!

However a more productive solution might go something like
" me asking bone question"
" you reply no you T**T - you'll kill someone"
"me saying, yeah point taken, so what would be the better option?"

Admittidly i feel rather stupid, and wishing i'd not bothered. that said, you've had your fun, might me move on?

The current set up is as follows, a four way extesion lead with a box at the plug which will trip (rcd?) winding down the garden to where the summer house is.
I would like to make this more permenant, what would be a suitably safe option which might be used by a professional, employed to safely carry out such an endevour?

Yes it should be armoured and yes it should be buried - 400m deep is generally regarded as the minimum, bedded in stone-free sand and with warning tape above. Using conduit to protect non-armoured cable isn't really feasible.

Spurring off a house socket is a naff idea, as you'll be limited to 13A.

Better to have a separate circuit from the CU (non-RCD protected), or by splitting the tails and going through a switchfuse, supplying a small CU in the summerhouse.

Although having said "non-RCD protected", this:
four way extesion lead with a box at the plug which will trip (rcd?)
makes me think that you don't have that on your house socket circuit anyway, so you should get that sorted out as well.

Don't forget to check that the professional you employ is registered, as this work is notifiable.

Reluctantly

Identify a spare way with in your CU

Calc max demand at the summer house, then dig a trench at least 18" deep, put a suitable base in the trench and lay appropriately selected SWA cable in accordance with BS7671:2008.

Bring this into the summer house and connect to an appropriately selected CU containing RCD/ RCBO's

Terminate inaccordance with BS7671:2008

Back to the trench; lay appropriate warning tape along the entire length of the SWA top coat with fine sand, small shale, back fill.

Throughout the procedure check the integrity of the SWA not forgetting to carryout, continuity of earthing, continuity of phase to ensure that all switches are in the phase and that edison screws at connected to phase at the pointed end. IR test, polarity, Ze, Zs, RCD tripping time, functionality.

Record all results on a EIC having used an appropriate test equipment with calibration certificate, don't forget to carryout and complete the visual inspection prior to testing.

Then complete your competence person certificate.

Oh did anyone mention this work is notafiable to LABC????

(probably missed something by now)

ALTERNATIVE

GET AN ELECTRICIAN IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

magic! very helpful...

how does one go about calculating the demand?

I'm starting to think this may become rather a lot of work:

the consumer unit in the hallway is the original from the 80's, and only has 4 slots, 2lights, 2 sockets - 1 each for up and down stairs. When this gets changed i'm guessing it'll then have room for adding other circuits(?)

would a small consumer unit then still be needed in the summer house. also if one was fitted, would there need to a seperate cable for say lights (not originally planned for, but for the extra work - may as well?)

HEY BOYS!!!!!!

I AM SHOUTING DOWN HIS EAR CAN ONE OF YOU LOOK FROM THE

OTHER SIDE TO SEE IF YOU CAN SPOT MY GOLD TOOTH PLEASE!!

I fear it does not matter what we say here he is going to BODGE it himself one way or the other, so lets speed up the Darwin process.

YOUR FIRST SUGGESTION WAS BRILLIANT!! SO BRILLIANT I HAVE EMAILED IT TO THE IET!!!

The address for flowers to be sent to please?

As a long term DIYer, I would, with respect, suggest you limit yourself to doing the digging, drilling, cable running etc., on behalf of your chosen electrician and then allow him to do the bit he (or she) is trained to do. You'll save a considerable sum doing the donkey work, feel you've participated in the process and I suspect very few electricians will grudge you doing them out of the preliminary work. That way you'll get the paperwork you'll need to satisfy building control and have a safe installation.

Some of the things you suggest are very scary and having had some serious shocks from a flat wired neutral to live reversed with many of the plugs similarly reversed. Not done by me but in a university flat I rented some time ago but it gave me a great respect for mains voltage! There are many books and internet resources that would give an understanding of why the professionals are so worried about what you propose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back