Consumer Unit for storage heaters - hot when I touch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two consumer units. The consumer unit for storage heaters, which come on at night, gets hot to the touch. I am worried about this. I worry that it may catch fire.

1 - Storage - Living Room 3.7Kw (Creda late 90s model)
1 - Storage - Bedroom 2Kw. (Creda / Dimple 2015 model)
1 - Not used
1 - Blank

It is a Wylex consumer unit. Model 404.

At the moment, I am turning on the storage heaters on for about 15 to 40 minutes, and turning off. I am only turning on one storage heater at a time. I am turning off to allow it to cool down.

The switch also gets hot (20A), if it run for too long.

If I change the consumer unit, will it solve my problem?. Or is problem to do with the copper wiring? (that will be a nightmare, as it is above the ceiling).

I meant to address this in the summer, but due to COVID.

I am worried, that I will leave the consumer unit on and forget to turn it off.

Sponsored Links
The consumer unit for storage heaters, which come on at night, gets hot to the touch.

Others will be along later, but....

A little warmth generated is normal, hot (if you meant hot) is certainly not. Heat can be generated by cables, cable connections and the components of the consumer unit. Without exposing yourself by removing the cover, can you feel where the heat is centred by touch?

I would expect both MCB's to be rated 20amps and the cable out to the heaters to each be 2.5mm. Even with both heaters powered, the load is well without the capabilities of the consumer unit.

How hot? Can you keep your hand in it indefinitely? Or uncomfortable after a few seconds? Or immediately have to take your hand off because you feel your skin will burn?

You will probably need to get an electrician to look at it. It’s possible that it’s due to loose connections which can be repaired quickly, but if the heat has damaged things then they will have to be replaced. It’s unlikely that the wires above the ceiling will need to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
Wylex 404, i believe is a Rewirable fusebox, often for storage heaters they were fitted with Hrc fuse holders. they are quite old now and back in the day were known occasionally to overheat and burn up around the prongs, though you would normally smell it, you really need it checked to be sure,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back