consumer unit in shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any rules for consumer units in bathrooms?
I have an existing small cloakroom which I want to expand. The area for expansion contains the consumer unit (a brand new 17 way split load board).

I would reasonably expect that I would have to enclose the consumer unit totally with an access hatch of some kind.

But is this allowable? I know of several people who have the consumer unit in their bathroom but is it allowed by building / IEE regs

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
A bathroom containing a fixed bath or shower has certain zones, and each zone has regulations about what can and can't be done in that zone, electrically speaking.

For details of zones and their dimensions, see here

look for amendment No. 3 (AMD 10983)

As far as the IEE (who compile the regulations) are concerned, there are no restrictions in zone three, or in enclosures like airing cupboards, which are deemed to be outside the zones.

Under this, I would see it as acceptable to fit a cupboard or other such enclosure around the CU, thus making it outside any zone.

Having as consumer unit is a room containing a fixed bath or shower is not a good idea, for a start I do not think that the electricity supplier
would be overly imnpressed about this scenario as it is a breach of the Supply Act to mount a head in such a location. They could, problably not, but could disconnect your supply.

Spoke to the NIC about this ages ago and they said "as long as its located within a cupboard it is outside the zones". Still not happy with that, but.......but nothing, I aint happy.... :mad:

Sponsored Links
Me too. I'm not necessarily always in agreement with the "bible". You can tell this when I say "As far as the IEE............"!!

OK here is an excerpt from the Electricity Supply Regulations Act 1989

No electricity supply service cutout shall be located in such a position that would give concern for safety due to the increased presence of moisture or similar airborne conductive medium. It is the responsibility if the supply authority to ensure all such cutouts are located so as to not present a significantly higher risk than would normally be accepted.

Now that can be interpreted how you like, but it certainly gives one pause for thought on this thorny topic.

Further it later states.

No service cutout shall be located in any room or similar enclosure that contains a fixed bath, shower or similar source of water which may pose a significant danger to the service cutout or person(s) in the vicinity of the cutout should a fault occur

I think this make it pretty clear.

The key words there are "which MAY pose......"

Does this rule ("or similar source of water") mean that a tap adjacent to my mother's cut out is unlawful?

Can you imagine what the eb would say when asked 2 move it?

securespark said:
The key words there are "which MAY pose......"

Does this rule ("or similar source of water") mean that a tap adjacent to my mother's cut out is unlawful?

Can you imagine what the eb would say when asked 2 move it?

Define adjacent? Mars is adjacent to Earth, but still it is millions of km away..

If the tap is within 2meters of the service cutout then it is in breack of the regulations and either the tap or the service head should be moved accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back