Best Brand for Consumer Units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the consumer unit in a domestic property I own. I am looking for a replacement 12 way split load consumer unit.

I was wondering what you all thought were the best brands for Consumer Units. The brands I was looking at were Crabtree, MK and GE. Does anyone have any opinions on those or any recommendations for other brands I should consider.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
My personal longstanding favourite is Crabtree, Square D QuikLine 2 are also very very good.

However, as 1john says, let the installing electrician choose.

There's a recent thread on this but I can't find it now (I can only search from May backwards for some reason).

The client can specify what he likes, you don't have to quote for it, and as BAS said in the aforementioned thread if someone wants to spend some more money on the materials this is minimal compared with the total cost including labour.

That said any of the established brands should be OK. Avoid TLAs.

Sponsored Links
Actually, three letter abbreviation. The obvious joke is that it is self-referential.

:D

An acronym is a set of initial letters which can be pronounced as a word...

True, but common usage has come to be that acronym also means any initialisation.

Maybe it should be TLI?

But then what of initialisations that can, by chance, be pronounced as words?

The initialisation of the British Broadcasting Corporation can't be pronounced, but the one mentioned above, Midland Electric Manufacturing, can be. What logic makes the 2nd an acronym but not the first?

And what of ones which could be pronounced as words but aren't, like GEC or ICI or MOT or UK? Are they acronyms because they can be pronounced, or not acronyms because they never are?

Then there are abbreviations which are pronounced as words in ways which break the rules. For example the abbreviations for the Joint Photographic Experts Group or the Moving Picture Experts Group would never be pronounced by an English speaker in the way that they are if he saw them written and had never encountered them before. Then of course there's the fact that we still pronounce them as words when they are written with the 3 letter filename extension - "it's a JPG file".

What of acronyms that have become common nouns, and have lost all capitalisation, like laser and radar? Or never were capitalised when first formed, like modem?

The reality is that it's less confusing and less inconsistent to stop drawing a distinction between "initialisation" and "acronym".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back