Consumer Unit layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How does this sound for the layout of my new CU..

Unprotected

Loft Feed 16
Imersion Heater 16
Alarm 6
DoorBell 6
Downstairs Lighting 6
Upstairs Lighting 6
External Lighting 6

Protected 80A 30mA RCD

Garage (Proteced it self) 32
Power Ring 32
Power Shower 16 (Only feeds a 13A plug fed shower)
Cooker Supply 16 (Only feeds a 2K oven at the mo)

Sponsored Links
Just the one ring main? why not split upstairs/downstairs. Or have a seperate one for kitchen.

Whats loft feeding.

All seems fine though as it is.

Have you taken part P into consideration?

The house is currently wired such that the house sockets are all on one ring. To split it would require a complete rewire from what I have seen

Yes Part-P has been considered

Sponsored Links
Fair enough.

Why not use a 20A breaker for loft, then use a fcu for the lighting spurred of the loft radial, Gives you a little more juice should you ever need it.

No its a wireless battery backed up module as shown below...

siren-kit.jpg

Good stuff, how do you rate the wireless ones, as people have told me to stay clear of them in the past.

Only ever dealt with hard wired, but if the wireless ones are any good may have to get one

Hacman said:
Good stuff, how do you rate the wireless ones, as people have told me to stay clear of them in the past.

Only ever dealt with hard wired, but if the wireless ones are any good may have to get one

Rob_Quads said:
I'll let you know once I eventually get them all up and fitted

you both may want to read this

Cooker supplied from the RCD side. mmmm!

Cooking appliances can have high earth leakage, leading to nuisance tripping of RCD's.

Does that mean it should be there though? if not over to unprotected it goes

It can go on either side, although if it has a socket it should be protected by the RCD as its possible to connect an outdoors appliance.

The problem is that cooking applianced are prone to earth leakage with means that the RCD can trip for apparently no reason.

Best solution is to fit a Cooker Control Unit with no socket and connect the circuit to the Non-RCD protected side

Hacman said:
Just the one ring main? why not split upstairs/downstairs. Or have a seperate one for kitchen.

Having thought about this a bit more I am now thinking it might be a good idea to try and put a new ring upstairs as i am putting in a number of items into the office and also a number of electric gizmos into the living room and i don't want to be overloading the main ring main.

As i have not finished decorating upstairs this should not be to major a job. Looking around the house it looks like some of the existing plugs upstairs are spured off sockets from the floors below.

Whats the safest way to change these - break into the line under the floorboards and use junction boxes to join into the new ring. The old spur disconnect in the socket

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back