consumer unit replacement / possible rewire (1957 fuse box)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some helpful advice.

I couple of years ago I bought a 1920s 3 bedroom semi which I knew required some updating. Last year I replaced the central heating system - it only heated up one radiator - with a modern combi-boiler.

Over the weekend I blew a fuse, after changing a light, and couldn't get the circuit again (all lights on 1 circuit). So I called out an electrician.

For some reason the lights were running off a 15amp fuse not a 5amp. The electrician managed to replace the fuse wire and get the lights back on. He pointed out that my exisiting consumer unit, a 1950s Wylex model, isn't attached to the wall. It is floating - supported by the main power cable and when he opened it part of the plastic enclosure crumbled.

I asked him for a quote to replace the unit, here is the quote:

Provision of a new 17th edition, split load, dual RCD protected consumer unit

Testing and inspection of all circuits at the property

Any necessary earth bonding

Re-organisation of circuits so that all circuits are covered by the new RCD protected consumer unit

We will fix any minor problems we come across, any rewiring that is required would be subject to a new quotation

Our quotation includes all parts, labour, testing, certification and notification to building control

£750 inc VAT

Although £750 sounds quite expensive to me, I am more worried about the unkown costs i.e. rewiring!

Here are a few observations:
> The socket and downstairs wiring look fairly new (grey pvc) and the sockets, which are in the skirting boards, also look fairly new
> The wriing on the upsatairs lights looks old and, in place, is behind the wall paper
> All of the lights appear to be on circuit
> The outside front lights are fed off a power socket
> The outside back lights use indoor wiring

Work obviously needs doing, but my pockets aren't very deep. The electrician expects that some rewiring will be necessary. How much do you think I will be looking at?

We haven't redecorated the house yet, which is good news, but what are the implications of partial / full rewiring - can a lot of it be done by lifting up floor boards and use of the cavity walls or will a need to re-paper / plaster most rooms?

Thanks in advance,

TBB

Sponsored Links
The socket will need to come out the skirting, s small chases from wall socket height to sub floor and cutting wall for back boxes.

The lights aren't likely to have earths so full light wiring is required. The routes from floor void 1st floor for grd lights and loft down for 1st floor lights MAY have been in voids, tubes or plastered in.

You may find that taking the switches off the walls and looking will give an idea as to how the light switch drops are run.

If you have areas with sealed flooring such as tiles or wood systems then they are a mare to access without some damage.

The electrician won't want to smash the house up, but since items such as sinking socket back boxes and chasing for cabling routes will be required some chopping, chasing and hole making is likely.

Thanks Chri5.

Presumably the electrician did not mention moving the sockets and light wiring for earths etc. because he didn't want to scare me off. Quoted £750 for changing the consumer unit knowing that a lot more work will need doing.

I guess should probably get three quotes for all of the work, rather than for just changing the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
You should get an inspection report done on the installation.
This is known as an EICR and will highlight any areas where updates/recabling etc needs to be done.

This will cost around £200 but at least you will know what the scope of the work is.
Then you can get quotes as necessary.

Couldn't say for sure without seeing the place but £750 for just the board is over the top for Central london let alone Kent.

Kent? Is there electricity in Kent now? Blimey, there's progress :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back