Consumer unit tripped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plugged in iron yesterday morning on 1st floor socket and it tripped the entire “consumer unit”. The Iron I am using is 2200 Watt Breville model, flex is a little kinked so could be source of problem? may be on its way out as this has happened to me with previous irons!

Only thing that is puzzling me on the “electrics” though is when it had happened, I then went to switch the consumer unit back on but it wouldn’t let me flick the switch - it was just springing back to off position. I unplugged the iron but still same result. I then decided to unscrew the socket to investigate and then I noticed that the red live feeds were not connected....Strange I thought! This socket does in fact have another 2 sockets spurred off it so there is in fact 3 live feeds into this socket and the holes are not that large so maybe the screws were not as tight as could have been? Therefore maybe the wires came loose when I unscrewed and pulled the socket from the wall... I can’t eliminate this? I reconnected it all and flicked consumer unit and all powered back on fine.

When I came home I decided to have a further look. I didn’t drop the power for the whole consumer unit, only the 30A breaker for the 1st floor sockets. I then proceeded to disconnect the socket again and re-connect it, but while I was doing this I heard a click from downstairs, went to check and the consumer unit had tripped out! Now puzzled! why this would do it while I had disconnected circuit breaker to the 1st floor sockets All other power to the house was still on, Lights, GF Sockets etc....

Electrics were done in the early nineties but I have only been in the house since 2009. The consumer unit has separate 30A, 15A & 5A circuit breakers contained on it. I have not had any other works carried out on the electrics other than changing my sockets to flat plate chrome (earth wires present) and changing to modern flat plate light switches. Have had no problems until now!

Used Iron this morning an all fine.

Any help / advice on this appreciated please?

Sponsored Links
Intermittent fault in iron?

Used with water the other day but not today?

When you tripped the RCD having isolated the MCB maybe you shorted N&E together & it tripped the RCD?

You could do with testing the iron for insulation resistance.

As stated you probably shorted neutral and cpc out within the socket resulting in the operation of the RCD. As long as the socket has been connected up correctly then I wouldn't worry about this.

It's more likely to be your iron. No doubt time will tell if you continue to use it. intermittant faults do tend to develop into permanent faults over time. So logic suggests if the problem is with the iron then the RCD will only operate when it is in use.

thanks, this is a picture of my consumer unit and it tripped the main on/off button. Below to the left of this on/off switch is a black square button which I have never touched , it reads "test regularly press button to trip, seek advice if in doubt" is this some sort of test/reset button??

Sponsored Links
I then went to switch the consumer unit back on but it wouldn’t let me flick the switch - it was just springing back to off position.
I know it turned out not to be, but FYI some RCDs won't reset if any circuits are on.

I then proceeded to disconnect the socket again and re-connect it, but while I was doing this I heard a click from downstairs, went to check and the consumer unit had tripped out! Now puzzled! why this would do it while I had disconnected circuit breaker to the 1st floor sockets
As securespark said, you'll have touched N & E. MCBs only disconnect the Line

Below to the left of this on/off switch is a black square button which I have never touched , it reads "test regularly press button to trip, seek advice if in doubt" is this some sort of test/reset button??
Yes, it's a test button.

You should press it regularly - every 2-3 months or the innards can get sticky

could someone advise me 100% that I have an RCD fitted to my consumer unit (as picture) please? I am pretty sure I have but just wanted to double check - thanks

My wiring is red/black so not sure when last re-wire was done but sockets are above skiring boards and my consumer unit looks reasonably modern?

could someone advise me 100% that I have an RCD fitted to my consumer unit (as picture) please? I am pretty sure I have but just wanted to double check - thanks

My wiring is red/black so not sure when last re-wire was done but sockets are above skiring boards and my consumer unit looks reasonably modern?

You actually have a Earth Leakage circuit breaker, not a RCD(Residual Current Device). They were the early version.

okay cheers
do you know roughly what age system would be with this type of consumer unit please?

A current operated ELCB is an RCD. No difference other than a device bearing that description will likely to to BS4293 rather than BSEN 61008

Its the voltage operated ELCBs that should be replaced

Hello Adam, why have you dug up a "cold case" from the Jurassic Period??

Are you awake now?
Have you been asleep for THREE YEARS ??

This is 2015, in case you didn't know :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back