Shed Consumer Unit no power

I have exactly this setup at my house.

Garage supplied from the house CU via 16mm² SWA and a 50A type C circuit breaker
Shed supplied from garage CU via 6.0mm² SWA and a 32A type B circuit breaker
Shed has 4 final circuits.
1: B20 RCBO socket radial
2: B6 tubular heater
3: B6 inside light
4: B6 outside PIR light

The MCB in the house is B32, the armoured cable then goes to the garage but I have no photo of that CU and didn't look what the rating was when I reset the tripped switch (was too excited to find it :LOL:) The garage only has 2 LED bulk head lights and one double socket which occasionally powers a radio. In the shed is one double socket on a B16 (powers a circular saw, sometimes a jigsaw and recharges batteries for power tools). The light is on a B6, but if our solar PIR security outside light outside doesn't work in the darker months then I would like to connect a mains PIR light back to the junction box.
@RF Lighting Looking at your set up above, should the PIR be on a separate circuit?

Sponsored Links
I have exactly this setup at my house.

Garage supplied from the house CU via 16mm² SWA and a 50A type C circuit breaker
Shed supplied from garage CU via 6.0mm² SWA and a 32A type B circuit breaker
Shed has 4 final circuits.
1: B20 RCBO socket radial
2: B6 tubular heater
3: B6 inside light
4: B6 outside PIR light

What part of this is bad design?
We don't know the ratings of the 3 inline MCBs, though I did ask. I have seen several garage CUs with 32 or 16 amp MCBs fed off a 13 a FCU in the house.

Sponsored Links
Thought you were a sparks. Did I make a mistake, or are you winding me up?

Why does you seeing something which has nothing to do with this thread make every house>garage>shed installation bad design?

I've given you the specifics of my setup at my house. Is that bad design?

So an electrician fitted a consumer unit in a garage that you didnt know about......No certification then, and who would fit it and not tell the client,,,something is not right

So an electrician fitted a consumer unit in a garage that you didnt know about......No certification then, and who would fit it and not tell the client,,,something is not right

You’ve made an awful lot off assumptions there :confused:

You’ve made an awful lot off assumptions there :confused:
How?..The op said an electrician fitted a cu and he didnt know, if it was notified and a cert issued the op would then know and something is still not right about this

Maybe the op’s partner organised the electrician who did the work while the op was at work, and the paperwork was sent to the partner. You don’t know and nor do I.

Why not simply ask the op if the person who ordered the work was sent a certificate?

Why does you seeing something which has nothing to do with this thread make every house>garage>shed installation bad design?

I've given you the specifics of my setup at my house. Is that bad design?
If Winston does think your set up is bad, then mine was really bad:
Henley ---
45A switched fuse, 10mm² T&E ---
bakelite Wylex fusebox in granny annex, 45A rewireable fuse, 6mm² singles in plastic trunking/conduit ---
workshop steel Wylex fusebox RCD main switch, 20A rewireable fuse, 2.5mm² T&E ---
shed:
15A rewireable fuse for DSSO,
15A plug-in MCB for DSSO
5A rewireable fuse for 2x30W fluo lights.

It has been altered but only in as much as the shed CU is now fed by a 20A rewireable switched fuse from the Henley so currently no RCD.

Well - to be honest, it is a bit of a hotch potch, isn't it?
Why a hotch potch? it's nothing nasty, other than perhaps lack of RCD in the shed. That I changed last year, possibly 18 when the cable got damaged, the intention is to replace fusebox but they're all too big to fit in the existing space and other changes have to be made.

Originally the switched fuse had 60A fuse which I reduced to 45A years ago as it's on 10mm²

Editted:

Last edited:
Maybe the op’s partner organised the electrician who did the work while the op was at work, and the paperwork was sent to the partner. You don’t know and nor do I.
Wow, Sherlock!!!! I am impressed. That is exactly what happened. My husband was at home when the work was done and he received and promptly filed the certificate, but he has no interest in diy and would not have thought to mention the new CU to me. As we always had power in the garage (and the garage is his bike shed) I didn't link the new supply in the shed (which is my workshop) with the garage supply. I assume the supply to the garage was suboptimal and the electrician put it right when sorting out the shed. @markyd1 There is nothing " not right" about this, just a female doing some diy and not wanting to call out an electrician for something that can be avoided. We have a very good electrician and I am very happy with the many jobs he has done for us. I would never have attempted to install the power in the shed for example, but changing a light fitting is something that I have done many times. Yes, I made a mistake when I first wired it up but I knew exactly how to put it right, which made the lack of power so puzzling! Another massive thank you to everyone who helped me to find out what was really going on! I appreciate it very much! (and my electrician would have wasted his time and, knowing him, not have charged me for resetting the switch and that would have made me feel even worse) I am off to the shed for some woodwork .... have a great evening everyone!

Thanks for the feedback, it makes our efforts worthwhile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back