Shed Consumer Unit no power

Measure voltage at the top of the MCB if it's not present see if you have voltage at the bottom. Maybe the Bus bar isn't quite connected? The clip's to hold the MCB on the Din rail.

Tel beat me to it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @terryplumb and @chivers67 I will check the connection tomorrow, I think the family won't be happy if I switch the power off now! To check the MCB with a multimeter, where would I position the probe? I assume on the brown wire (copper part) at the top, but how about the bottom? Will anywhere on the busbar do?

One probe on the MCB top terminal screw and the other to the earth terminal block to measure voltage with your multimeter set to AC voltage .

Sponsored Links
Is the shed supplied by an FCU on the house ring or does it have its own circuit breaker in the house CU?

Stop playing around with a consumer unit and get a sparky......The ONLY advice you need

Just a quick update and a huge thanks! I tested the MCB and that was all ok so I went back to the shed to double check and there was still no power coming into it. I then checked the whole cable from the house to the shed and found that it was going via the garage and (you probably know what's coming ...) the electrician had put in a CU in the garage 2 years ago and the shed is run off that. A switch had tripped there and once it was reset everything worked perfectly :). The CU was hidden behind boxes and I didn't know it had been fitted so without the guidance on here I never would have thought to look. Thanks again everyone! I would have been very embarrassed if I had called out the electrician for that!

A CU feeding a CU feeding a CU sounds like a bad design to me. What sizes are the 3 inline MCBs?

A CU feeding a CU feeding a CU sounds like a bad design to me. What sizes are the 3 inline MCBs?

I’m sure it does to you but that doesn’t mean that it actually is bad design.

The fault has been repaired. In what way is one of your ridiculous winstonisms adding anything of value to this thread?

I guess it also is dependent on what equipment is in both the Garage and Shed that is fed from the separate dis-boards

I have exactly this setup at my house.

Garage supplied from the house CU via 16mm² SWA and a 50A type C circuit breaker
Shed supplied from garage CU via 6.0mm² SWA and a 32A type B circuit breaker
Shed has 4 final circuits.
1: B20 RCBO socket radial
2: B6 tubular heater
3: B6 inside light
4: B6 outside PIR light

What part of this is bad design?

Is the Tubular heater good? Is it to stop frost getting in?

It’s just to try and keep any possible damp away which it seems to do. The shed is insulated and the heater is on a thermostat set to about 5°C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back