CONSUMER UNIT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I CURRENTLY HAVE STORAGE HEATERS CONNECTED TO A 7 HOUR TIMED FUSE, I AM REPLACING THESE WITH THE LATEST ECONOMY RADIATORS. AND I AM HAVING THE METER CHANGED FROM ECONOMY 7 TO STANDARD,I WOULD LIKE TO USE THE EXISTING WIRING. DO I NEED TO DO ANY THING TO MAKE THIS WIRING WORK 24-7 :?:

Sponsored Links
Turn off your CAPS LOCK!!!! Its SHOUTING!!!

And it depends how the mains area is wired. A picture would help us. There are several ways of wiring an economy 7 supply.

Also, "economy radiators" if electrically heated, will use the same amount of electricity to heat the same space as before. (If they are low wattage, they will simply run 24/7 struggling to heat the space) Only it will now cost you more. Have you sought professional advice?

Chrisie,
How do you intend to use these new economy heaters? Are you going to switch them on individually only while you are in the room, like a focal heating source, or are you planning to leave them on whether you are in the room or not, and use them for space heating, thus keeping your home warm throughout?

I ask this because you SHOULD NOT use the standard electricity rate to warm up (space heat) your home. Off peak electricity (Economy 7, etc) using storage heaters is the best way to do it when using electricity.

You should take advice before you throw out the storage heaters.

The answer to your question is that a defunct storage heater system can be adapted to supply sockets in place of the wall switches for the storage heaters, but this is normally a job for a competent person.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back