Consumer units and not a registered competent person

If my supplier came and deenergized, can I who is not a registered competant person install the isolator switch? I presume I can, since I am allowed to wire the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
If my supplier came and deenergized, can I who is not a registered competant person install the isolator switch? I presume I can, since I am allowed to wire the consumer unit.
Are they going to charge for deenergizing and then later reenergizing?

Are they going to charge for deenergizing and then later reenergizing?

I don't know yet. I'm with EON and I've been given a number of their "deenergize and energize department". I'll phone up Monday. see what they say.

My supplier (EON) quoted £51.06 for de-energize or enerigize. That looks like a total cost of £102.12.

Sponsored Links
My supplier (EON) quoted £51.06 for de-energize or enerigize. That looks like a total cost of £102.12.
I don't know if they will charge for both but if they do then - pricewise - you may as well have them fit the isolator.

Exactly. If EON charge £102.12 for de-energize/re-energize, and if Northern Power Grid the DNO charges about £104 (including de-energize/energize) - then the best deal is to call in the DNO.

I'm not sure if the DNO will put in a metal clad isolator for the price or plastic. Or, what they would charge if they put in my own isolator. They might do that - I suppose.

Installing the isolator is within the scope of Part P:

so as long as you can comply with that you may install the isolator.

But re de-energising - I take it that you've checked to see if your meter has a switch in it? Some do. Mine, for example, has a small screwdriver-operated one on the front.

Installing the isolator is within the scope of Part P:

But re de-energising - I take it that you've checked to see if your meter has a switch in it? Some do. Mine, for example, has a small screwdriver-operated one on the front.

My meter does not have a switch so the consumer unit can be isolated. I think it's type Landis and Gyr CL 27.2.

I don't know if they will charge for both but if they do then - pricewise - you may as well have them fit the isolator.

Exactly. If EON charge £102.12 for de-energize/re-energize, and if Northern Power Grid the DNO charges about £104 (including de-energize/energize) - then the best deal is to call in the DNO.

I'm not sure if the DNO will put in a metal clad isolator for the price or plastic. Or, what they would charge if they put in my own isolator. They might do that - I suppose.

EDF refuse to fit them at all and refer back to the distributor. You can fit one yourself for **** sake just make sure it's fitted to a separate board to that of the buzz cut out. I bought mine and had the neighbour fit, just need two tails fitted to it ready for the **** from your chosen supplier to connect up. My neighbour was disgusted by the pointlessness of having to fit one in the first place. 100a main fuse switch set me back £34

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back