contacting an electrician for certification purposes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I looked around for an answer to this on the forum and wiki but couldn't find anything so apologies if it's already been done to death.

I am planning (with help from more skilled familly members) to do the wiring for my extension. The work is presumeably allready notified as it is part of the submitted extension building reg plans. I contacted my building inspector and he is happy for me to do the work, doesn't want to see it. All he wants is a certificate from a part P registered electrician.

My questions are:
1) Are electricians used to this kind of request and are they likely to be happy to do it?
2) At what point do I need to contact/find my electrician
3) What stages will he be likely to need to see? Could I just take photos of wiring runs that will be hidden etc. Or does he just need to see it all or even just do a test with the relevant instruments at the end.

any help appreciated. :)

thanks

Trev

Sponsored Links
You would have to look for an electrician who is NOT NICEIC registered - NICEIC registered sparks are not permitted by their rules to provide a certificate for others work.

Any spark worth his salt, and not just after a quick buck, will want to look first to see what your plans are, advise you of the best method etc, and then inspect once you have first fixed, and get you to alter anything he doesn't like. He will then come back after second fix to complete the testing/commisioning.

Thanks Lectrician! that's helpful as I was uncertain of the reception I might get and what level of involvment to look for.

cheers

Trev

Its a bit like installing your own gas boiler and then trying to find a Corgi regd plumber to certify it.
Like the plumbers in that situation, many electricians are not interested in putting their name to an installation that they have not installed. Most electrcians who are part of Building regs Part P schemes are only allowed to self certify their own wqrk and not that done by others.
You may find someone who will do it but I (like many) are buried in doing their own work. Also I have made a large investment in training, equipment, calibration, registration taxes (sorry i meant fees) etc etc and recoup that outlay by doing the whole job, not just the fiddly bits at the end.

You may get a better reception if you work with a sparky so that you do the labour intensive work (run chases, pull in cables etc) under his guidance and let him do the final connections and test.

TTC

Sponsored Links
you building control might not be asking for your spark to do the part p submission, as if they were its as has been described that technically he shouldnt as should only cover his own work.

but they may be asking for him to do just the test cetificates then you to apply for the part p in the usual diy way. they may have asked for a 'part p' spark as then he is a memeber of a scheme so they know he (probably) isnt a cowboy, but i wouldnt of thought they would be expecting him to do the submission as if it was his own work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back