CONTACTING MODS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how I can contact the mods. One of them is deleting my posts completely unnecessarily. One of the most recent was a thread about melting lampholders when I suggested using LED lamps rather than incandescent. This was deleted (censored) even though the OP had thanked me and said he would consider my advice.
The OP posted right below my post.

"Thanks all. Think I will consider switching for an LED fixing as suggested."

Sponsored Links
Now that’s now strictly true is it.

Here is exactly what you wrote:
30561B10-8A6F-4D97-9A67-6E6E8FC4B3D6.jpeg

You started your post with one of your typical unhelpful statements which added absolutely nothing of value to the thread. I already waste far too much of my time moderating your content. If you post something unhelpful then it will be removed as you have been told so many times, regardless of what ever else you have written.

Had you simply written “Change if [sic] for a dimmable LED and appropriate dimmer.” then your post would still be visible.

If you are fed up with your posts being removed then stop posting your unhelpful opinion pieces.

That was NOT unhelpful. It was a sensible thought provoking question. And the OP responded positively. Other people have made similar comments about incandescent lights. I think you are a bully abusing your position and are taking it out on me.

That was NOT unhelpful. It was a sensible thought provoking question. And the OP responded positively. Other people have made similar comments about incandescent lights. I think you are a bully abusing your position and are taking it out on me.
Winston are you really so stupid that you think this sort of behaviour is doing anything to further your cause.
The mods on here are volunteers just like anybody else and they have a very unenviable task on their hands. If I were a mod on here right now this sort of unjustified accusation would be the final stroke.

I think they have been extremely lenient on you and the only bullying I have seen on here is from one member starting with a W

For what it's worth there are many millions of incandescent lamps still in use across the UK for a multitude of different reasons and if you had any sort of real life experiences that you regularly comment of you would be aware of some of the reasons.

At this stage I'll publically invite Mods to look at my private conversation with you and repeat my invitation to delete or comment if they feel inclined. Or even publish in the forum.

MOD: FYI As the name implies, we are not able to see private conversations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
At this stage I'll publically invite Mods to look at my private conversation with you and repeat my invitation to delete or comment if they feel inclined. Or even publish in the forum.

MOD: FYI As the name implies, we are not able to see private conversations.
Oh, thanks for this, for some reason I believed you did. Happy to forward it to you if its likely to be of any interest.

I am dyslexic, and it seems many engineers are, the number of dyslexic students in the engineering department in university exceeded 50%. The result it one can make a comment which is seen as aggressive, where that was not the intention. So if the comment had been reversed, and you said I suggest you use LED bulbs they run cooler, there is not real place for the tungsten bulb in 2020, it says same thing, but seems less aggressive.

There is of course a flaw, when I moved into this house there was a single 100 watt tungsten bulb in centre of the living room, no where near enough light as it was, so simply swapping bulbs would not work, but the LED bulb is quite small, the 100 watt bulb is classed as 1600 lumen today as only available as rough service, but it was more like 1800 - 2000 lumen when peal tungsten bulbs were permitted, and as said it was not bright enough to start with, so we need to fit some type of chandelier so we can fit multi bulbs.

So 2000/3 = 666 lumen and 15 watt BA22d bulb is 1300 lumen, however it seems BA22d bulbs in a chandelier is getting rare, most seem to use E14, so down to 5 watt, may find 6 watt and 400 lumen, so need at least 5 bulbs in the chandelier, we actually found one with 8 bulbs, but due to being a chandelier it hangs lower, so anyone taller than me will hit their head, and it is that hight where people don't realise and fail to duck, so we have the coffee table set beneath it.

However the point is not as simple as changing a bulb, and my move from tungsten to LED in this house has thrown up a few problems, for an electrical engineer not insurmountable problems, but I am an electrical engineer, for my son-in-law likely he could not have worked out how to get around those problems without reverting to asking me or my son.

And this is the point, most people are not electricians and that's why they ask the question, and the cure is not always as easy as it seems, it is the same with all trades, I thought central heating was easy, back in around 1976 I fitted central heating to my house and it worked, one or two small adjustments and it worked for 40 years, so to my mind central heating was easy, then moved to mothers house, and realised why they call themselves heating and ventilating engineers, it was not as easy as mine, far from it.

So just because you were able to buy an arm full of LED bulbs and convert your house, does not mean every house is that easy. In my old house I used tungsten lighting to boost the heat in bathroom when in use, changing to LED also mean changing radiator size.

So we suggest what may help, and some times I know I get it wrong, when at work people would ask, how do I do this, then latter I would visit, and realised there had been a communication error, what they had done maybe what they thought I was telling them, but not what I thought I was telling them to do.

It is the problem with English things can be read to mean different things, on the way to Scotland as a lad we passed a sign "Beware of the man eating haggis" I am sure you can see the two meanings.

My family know I am dyslexic, and make allowances, but the general public does not, you need to read what you have said, and alter where required, and if a moderator sees an error and removes the post, you may ask why, so you don't repeat the error, but you should also thank him for removing the post when you make an error.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back