Sale of open-ended flex fitted with plug - is it allowed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all Electricians out there,

I was under the impression that a plug fitted with an open-ended cable was a no-no and against all the regulations in the book? correct me if I'm wrong.

Therefore, how can (rather: should) these things be sold in the UK?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lampholde...ses-With-Nipple-Fixing-PLU31045-/122022194067

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-La...or-Wooden-Lamps-Kit-19-PLU68170-/111545368136

Isn't there the risk that a (child/fool - delete as applicable) could purchase these and kill themselves/someone in the vicinity?

Comments would be welcome. And, if it's wrong, how/to whom should we report them?

Thank you for your help.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I think as they're not finished products but assemblies to be included in products made by others, they're exempted from some of the safety regulations. The person making the finished product would be responsible for it complying with the regulations.

Sponsored Links
Lot's of dangerous things are available to buy.

I dare say you can buy a ton of broken glass; don't give it to the kids.

I doubt anyone would buy that and randomly leave it lying around. I've made up plug leads for doing dead testing, but I always make them safe afterwards, it's the same thing. Even removing the fuse gets you most of the way there.

I'm sure there was a case where an electrician cut the plug off a lead and left it lying around, and someone plugged it in...

So I consider this even worse, as it's deliberate.

For the sake of a few pennies, couldn't the 'live end' have some kind of seal or sleeve fitted?

I'm sure there was a case where an electrician cut the plug off a lead and left it lying around, and someone plugged it in...

So I consider this even worse, as it's deliberate.

For the sake of a few pennies, couldn't the 'live end' have some kind of seal or sleeve fitted?

Such an item shouldn't really be in the hands of end users anyway, but I agree with you that it would be less risky if the ends weren't bare, or if the plug was supplied without fuse already fitted, etc.

Is it any worse than supplying a rewireable plug with no lead connected?
For what it's worth, I would personally say 'Yes'.

However, as has been said, if it is sold as a 'component', rather than as something to used 'as is' by an end-user, then it is in the company of very many things ('components') that are, per se, potentially hazardous 'as sold'.

Kind Regards, John

Of course these sorts of things are available, does anyone really think the moulded plugs appear by magic on the end of the flex as the very last point of the production line.

I have seen the actions of an over zealous PAT'er/repairer at a big American finance company in London.
The replacement plug on a dishwasher had got damaged and failed the test. He cut the cable and left the plug in the kitchen rubbish bin complete with fuse and an inch or so of flex.

Perhaps I should explain that the machine was under a worktop and the cable passed through a small (10mm?) hole in the worktop so the original moulded plug had been removed and replaced with a rewirable version.

Cost of bulk PAT; £3.00 per item.

So far so good.

Office staff complained the dishwasher didnt work several days later so the in house maintenace company fitted a new plug and PAT and functional tested, bagged the faulty plug from the bin (Yes several days later it was still there!)

Several WEEKS later the PAT'er returned and was turned away.

I can't remember the exact prices but the invoice was a bit over £400:
Replacement cable £70, p&p from Germany £30.
Aborted visit 1/2 day rate £250.
Total £350 plus VAT (likely to be 17.5%).
At the time it was about £50 more than the cost of a new machine.
Needless to say it didn't get paid.

Anyway, back to the OP.
Unfortunately he managed to leave the replacement cable in the kerfuffle of being refused access, the assembly consisted of: Moulded 13A plug, a length of 1.00mm² flex, protection sleeve/grommit, 2 1/4" spade crimps with exposed 'live' ends (without overall insulation) and a ring crimp. It hung on the wall of the maintenance office for a long time.

Of course these sorts of things are available, does anyone really think the moulded plugs appear by magic on the end of the flex as the very last point of the production line.

I have seen the actions of an over zealous PAT'er/repairer at a big American finance company in London.
The replacement plug on a dishwasher had got damaged and failed the test. He cut the cable and left the plug in the kitchen rubbish bin complete with fuse and an inch or so of flex.

Perhaps I should explain that the machine was under a worktop and the cable passed through a small (10mm?) hole in the worktop so the original moulded plug had been removed and replaced with a rewirable version.

Cost of bulk PAT; £3.00 per item.

So far so good.

Office staff complained the dishwasher didnt work several days later so the in house maintenace company fitted a new plug and PAT and functional tested, bagged the faulty plug from the bin (Yes several days later it was still there!)

Several WEEKS later the PAT'er returned and was turned away.

I can't remember the exact prices but the invoice was a bit over £400:
Replacement cable £70, p&p from Germany £30.
Aborted visit 1/2 day rate £250.
Total £350 plus VAT (likely to be 17.5%).
At the time it was about £50 more than the cost of a new machine.
Needless to say it didn't get paid.

Anyway, back to the OP.
Unfortunately he managed to leave the replacement cable in the kerfuffle of being refused access, the assembly consisted of: Moulded 13A plug, a length of 1.00mm² flex, protection sleeve/grommit, 2 1/4" spade crimps with exposed 'live' ends (without overall insulation) and a ring crimp. It hung on the wall of the maintenance office for a long time.
Sorry to come back to this after 6 years but ...

This morning I've been to this site and the cable is still hanging on the wall, I had a laugh with the maintenance guy over it. It was only then I relised it wouldn't have fitted through the hole in the worktop as the end going into the machine is a ball something like 25mm diameter.and a clamping plate to hold that against the machine something like 40mm diameter.

Farnell, RS, CPC and Rapid all sell them.

Maplin used to sell them too, though their catalogue had a disclaimer "for professional use only".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back