Contemplating combining box bedrooms...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is in the incorrect forum section.

Looking for some advice, I stay in a maisonette flat (over two floors) and currently have two box rooms which fit double beds but not much else at the moment. One of the neighbors has turned this into one big room and it looks fantastic, so much so I'm thinking of doing something similar.

Ive been able to determine that the walls that would need to be removed are only stud walls and aren't supporting the roof in any way.

My questions would be:
Does this seem like a good idea?
Will it impact the value of my flat if I go from 3 bedrooms to 2? (I already have a bedroom downstairs)
Would this be costly?

Ive attached a before and after diagram - any opinion/advice would be much appreciated

Upstairs Before
Upstairs After

Sponsored Links
Reducing bedrooms usually reduces value, nothing to stop you re-instating before you sell though.

If its what you want go for it, but if you are thinking of selling it,
it becomes a two bedroom maisonette, however glamorous you make it.

It will certainly reduce the value of the property. In this country we pay per bedroom, not per sq m, which is daft, as you end up with lots of tiny little rooms (see new builds).

As for cost, it all depends if that wall is load bearing or not. If it is not, it is quite straightforward and DIYable.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the feedback.

I agree its daft that value is associated with room qty. The two rooms I have are not practical at all and, in my opinion, make upstairs dark and dingy and leaves a lot of "dead space" behind the walls.

I'm almost certain that there is no load bearing walls that would need to be removed, however its probably the sort of job id get a professional in to do so I can always have this checked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back