Continually Running Central Heating/Water Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Recently had a new condensing boiler & accessories installed replacing an old obsolete boiler probabaly about 20 years old.

I've noticed that the pump seems to run continually - when the hotwater programme is on - whether the boiler is fired up or not.

In otherwords, the pump is running - pumpin water between the water cylinder and the boiler even when the hot water has reached its max temp set by the thermostat.

Does this seem right?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kev,

Presumably the pump should only run when the boiler is alight?

I presume this applies to when the CH is being used aswell?

PhilWis said:
Thanks Kev,

Presumably the pump should only run when the boiler is alight?

I presume this applies to when the CH is being used as well?

No it will have a pump overun stat which will feed current to the pump for a while after the burner has cut out. It shouldn't run permanently either. Could be this thats the fault. could be a wiring fault or perhaps even normal operation. Can you tell us more about the boiler

Sponsored Links
No it will have a pump overun stat which will feed current to the pump for a while after the burner has cut out. It shouldn't run permanently either. Could be this thats the fault. could be a wiring fault or perhaps even normal operation. Can you tell us more about the boiler[/quote]

It's a Glow Worm 24 HXI. Yes, there is an over-run. For example, when the control unit turns the system off at 10.30pm then the pump over-runs for a couple of minutes before switching off.

The problem seems that the pump is running continuously for all of the time when the HW is 'On' whether the boiler is alight or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back