Continuing saga with the Miele Washer Dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The saga of the dryer fan seizure on our 28 month old Miele continues. Miele changed the fan and duct pipe from the bottom of the drum to the fan assy.

Every time we use the dryer we are getting residue and foreign matter out of what appears to be the dryer return ducting. We have eliminated limescale, powder residue, dirty clothes and things left in pockets etc.

This is without doubt the worst washing machine we have ever owned, despite is being the most expensive by a mile. We are now considering our options which include replacing it with a Bosch.

Before we do, are there any expert opinions as to what might the cause of this might be.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Did you watch the 'engineer' replace the duct?
Could he possibly have used a sealant and/or lubricant to ease on the pipe.

Hi Yardie, unfortunately I do not have photos or saw him use any products on assembly. If this were the case I think after a number of wash/dry cycles we would have been able to get beyond the issue. I also still cannot believe Miele would design an appliance to run with a seized fan and not throw up any error messages. I might now write to someone senior in Miele. One reason for my post is to alert people to the fact that this brand is nowhere near as good as portrayed by the marketing hype.

Sponsored Links
Was the issue ever resolved?

Hi Yardie, we have been trying to get Miele to attend to this joke of an appliance. They have cancelled twice and are due here in two weeks. I don't hold my breath and my wife is worried I will put it in the skip and get a bosch. I know it will still go wrong but it won't have cost me such a ridiculous amount of money. I am also thinking of taking it to Miele HQ and paying someone to stand with a banner to try and save other potential victims.
If we ever get to the bottom I will post what the cause was.

Finally got to the bottom of the problem today. The dryer ducting that houses the dryer heater element was found to be coated in what looks like white flakey corrosion. Given that the dryer fan had seized recently and now all this white powder, our confidence in this product is very low and are still not sure of the cause. This thing is definitely going to skip shortly and being replaced by a Bosch.

Thanks all

Replacement of ll the dryer ducting and the fan assembly has sorted the problem. The question is what was all the white coating inside all the dryer ducting and why did the fan seize up. We have ruled out limescale but are puzzled how a 2 year old Miele, could suffer from what looks like surface corrosion inside the metal ducting. The machine has always had service washes and fluff removal programme run. One observation is that the dryer has had little use.

Everybody now tells me to avoid washer/dryers like the plague. Surely if the likes of Miele manufacture one, having the option to occasionally dry the clothes makes some sense, does it?

Have any of you washing machine engineers come across this before, if so what do think likely cause is of the seized fan and what is all this white stuff?

Thank you.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back