Continuous air lock?

L

Legion

Going to bungalow with bathroom ,en suite, hot water pressure ok in these two areas but in kitchen the hot water constantly air locks after running bath which is fed in 22mm pipe i believe. I think the bath may be starving the kitchen sink which is in 15mm but this would not account for the airlock issue. I think it`s conventional system and is probably a pipework configuration issue. Anyone have a clue? Ta very muchly.

By the way if Mod 10 or 11 are on, please be informed that the only way to ban a member is via Admin, in other words `The Organ Grinder` and not `The Monkeys.` Thanks muchly. :LOL: Please feel free to remove this unhelpful and abusive post.

Sponsored Links
Suspect the storage tank is running dry if it keeps happening.

would need to know the pipe layout.
but shouldn't keep airlocking unless he keeps draining the cws.
and its the kitchen run that suffers the airlock

Thanks, far as I know it`s been happening since house was built and if tank was running dry I assume that would be a float valve prob but if that were the case how does the tank refill? It only happens when the bath is filled which is in 22mm, seems to be sucking all water from kitchen supply then failing to refill due to airlock, haven`t seen it yet but it`s puzzling.

Sponsored Links
If the storage tank is too small and the recovery is slow it would happen from new.

Now I ain't saying that's the problem, but you asked for suggestions, so go check it.

If the storage tank is too small and the recovery is slow it would happen from new.

Now I ain't saying that's the problem, but you asked for suggestions, so go check it.

Yeah, will check it out and get back, thanks for help.

as doitall said i would say the same.

thats the exact same set up i have and i can run a bath and the wife can fill the kitchen sink at the same time and they both supply ok and have never airlocked or reduced flow etc.

i would say the cws is not filling quick enough or under sized.

as doitall said i would say the same.

thats the exact same set up i have and i can run a bath and the wife can fill the kitchen sink at the same time and they both supply ok and have never airlocked or reduced flow etc.

i would say the cws is not filling quick enough or under sized.

See what you are saying, but for the water pipe in the kitchen to airlock every time bath was filled would suggest the whole cylinder is emptying and failing to refill quick enough for the kitchen supply for one bath which is unlikely.The cylinder is the storage vessel from which the hot water is fed, maybe it`s a cylinder problem, too small, undersized?

don't matter if the cylinder is undersized it will just run out of hw.
if the cws is undersized and slow to refill it will draw air.
is the cold for the bath taken from the cws ?
an average bath 1700 x 700 will hold 175 litres
a average cylinder will hold 117 litres
a 25 gal cws will hold 112 litres

you won't run the whole cylinder dry only the cws

seco services";p="1324877 said:
don't matter if the cylinder is undersized it will just run out of hw.

Of course, it would just run cold.

Yeah just clicked, the cylinder will remain full of water although cws is empty it`s header height/pressure pushing out hot water, if there is none the water won`t flow. :rolleyes: OK, Thanks for advice will check it, get back.

once the cws has drained it will cause any hot suppy pipework to drain
to say the height of the bath tap then once the cws fills again the pipework will have gained air that might not beable to escape up the vent
cause trapped in the pipe.

once the cws has drained it will cause any hot suppy pipework to drain
to say the height of the bath tap then once the cws fills again the pipework will have gained air that might not beable to escape up the vent
cause trapped in the pipe.

Yep, brain is now engaged thanks to you and Doitall. As an aside how does one calculate the size of a cws in a loft already installed? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back