contractor laid uneven hardboard and blaming my floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help just paid a contractor £535.
£150 for the hardboarding (4mm ply) and £90 for fitting the vinyl. the wife paid him, no puns pls,
I got home and can clearly see ridges from underneath. after emailing him pics of the ridges he phoned and said that the floorboards were uneven beneath which has caused it. I compared his offcuts and they look different from each other.
He said he is coming round at the weekend but im guessing hell just argue his point and I argue mine. I don't know what to do about it as the window reflects on that exact area everytime I walk in the bedroom.

Sponsored Links
How is the vinyl stuck down - or stapled -or loose flopped down?
Does it stop at the skirting?

Running your hand over the contested area, can you feel ridging?

How did he fix the underlayment?

Did he leave expansion gaps at the edges?

It was all glued. Was cut to the skirting. The 4mm ply boarding was nailed. Found some offcuts to the boarding which were uneven but I think the floorboards had a part to play also. Also a few scratches but likely caused by having to cut the vinyl out on the road and then having to bend slightly to get into room. I was aware that it had to be bent but a few stones got caught up in this from the road. Perhaps a sheet could have been used. Anyway we have spoken since and agreed a price for compensation. Most of the bad parts are covered up and I am grateful that he was reasonable and apologetic.

Sponsored Links
This fella didn't have a clue on how to prepare your floorboards.

He should of sanded the floor 1st to try to get it as flat as possible. Sometimes put some latex screed on the boards to fill any unlevel sections.
Then use 9mm plywood if the floorboards are bad.
Then feather screed the joints of the ply to stop any lines showing through.

Is he a Floorlayer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back