Control knob on Bosch electric cooker trips RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As there was some dirt under the control knobs, I pulled them out and tried putting them back. I noticed that on two of them the metal piece that stands (this metal bit goes into the back of the knob) dropped down by a couple centimetres making the length of it smaller. As a result of it, the plastic knob doesn't fit in properly and when it's turned on to a heat setting, it trips RCD.

I tried inserting a small plastic piece under the knob so that the knob stays up and this time I had no issues. I have this issue on just two out of 4 knobs.

What could have gone wrong or how can I get this fixed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
May be ask in the appliance section if you could provide more details such as Model number?

Perhaps the central metal section is shorting out Neutral to earth but without looking inside the appliance it's very difficult to advise. Did you clean it with liquid?

May be ask in the appliance section if you could provide more details such as Model number?

Perhaps the central metal section is shorting out Neutral to earth but without looking inside the appliance it's very difficult to advise. Did you clean it with liquid?

Hi,

It is a Bosch Serie | 2 4 zone Quick-Therm ceramic hob PKE611C17E and I cleaned it with a lightly damp cloth. I'm sure no liquid might have gone it. Also, I have been using the hob with a small object underneath the heat control knob to raise it up so that it doesn't touch down. This should have dried up the water/moisture if there was any.

I am planning to call in an electrician but any thoughts would be useful.

Thanks

Sounds as if you've managed to push the switch body down into the appliance. Good odds the contacts on the switch are uninsulated and are touching the chassis thus causing the RCD issue.
Have you tried (with the power to the hob OFF) pulling firmly upwards on the metal shafts with a pair of pliers? If the hob is very old it may be the plastic lugs on the switch body have fallen to bits

Sponsored Links
switch assembly (they call it a regulator) is easy to replace. eSpares is where I got one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back