controling different temps in different rooms / areas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How can i control different temps in different areas automatically, im talking about radiators / blowers feed by water from a boiler.

What i want to do is this-

1- Warehouse i want to heat to 18c from 6am-4pm monday - friday, at weekend and night i want it to drop down to a minimum of 12c

2- Work Area - 21c from 9am-5pm monday - friday can be as low as 5c at night / weekend. But i also want to over ride it to stay at 5c if area not being used for weeks on end

3- Same as number 2 above (different area)

The heating system is not installed yet, would i be better of with 3 small boilers and thermostats or can i use one large boiler but something controlling when the hot water is allowed through to the rads?

For reference i think i need around a 70kw boiler to heat the 3 areas all together.

Sponsored Links
Am sure that some will advocate separate zone controls (three timers/stats) with one big boiler and three zone valves.

However, the "all eggs in one basket" is a concern :confused:

Am sure that some will advocate separate zone controls (three timers/stats) with one big boiler and three zone valves.

However, the "all eggs in one basket" is a concern :confused:

the concern being that if boiler breaks down i loose heating to all areas?

So these zone controls, do you have a link or a make of one maybe that i can have a look at and read about? Been trying to get quotes for new heating system but when im explaining what i want done im getting silence on the phone and being told it cant be done or they dont do heating systems like this etc.

Depends how big the area is. Like how big the warehouse is.

A gas space heater may be suitable for a large warehouse.

Otherwise 2 boilers in cascade with zone valves for the 3 areas and 3 wall thermostats. A boiler failure won't matter as the second boiler
will cover. Both boilers will work in times of high demand.

Sorted.

Sponsored Links
Depends how big the area is. Like how big the warehouse is.

A gas space heater may be suitable for a large warehouse.

Otherwise 2 boilers in cascade with zone valves for the 3 areas and 3 wall thermostats. A boiler failure won't matter as the second boiler
will cover. Both boilers will work in times of high demand.

Sorted.

warehouse is small. It is 9m x 9m with a 3m ceiling height. Was thinking of using 2 x large domestic radiators in there or a small water / airblower with a 18kw output.

To give you a idea of what we are looking at.

Warehouse - 18kw air/water blower (well over powered but as i want stat controlled i presume not a issue? )
Work area - 18kw air/water blower
Work area 2 - 31kw air/water blower
70kw oil or lpg boiler

Total area to be heated including warehouse is 2304 cubic meters spread over 2 floors but all open and interlinking with large 3m x 3m openings between the 3 areas. Warehouse has doors to close off the opening.

EDIT- just found a link to similar blowers and spec - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIT-BLOW...ling_Air&var=580155811936&hash=item416e0e92af

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Regarding the control, something like this would allow different temps at different times to be programmed.

In simple terms this controls the zone valves which flicks a microswitch which turns the boiler on/off. It's a simple matter really, controlling a switched live ;)

Have a small single heater coil battery installed in my workshop.
Made by powrmatic.
The fan is held of by a pipe stat so that it doesn't blow cold air down the shop.
It will lift the shop to 12c with -2 out side which I'm happy with.
12c is a good temperature to work in. So its undersized with regard to space temperatures above that.

If your fitting air sensors as control I assume you will interlock the fans only and let the pump flow/boiler operation remain.
Thus when the fan starts again hot water is instantly available.
Or did you have other thoughts on control?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back