Conventional boiler.... comeback Combi all is forgiven!

Sponsored Links
My mistake earlier there isn't a q60c. However, the q51c modulates from 9.8 to 48.7kw and doesn't diminish in any way the daftness of fitting one in a 4 bed house.

I have a thermal store running at 60 but I have it for other reasons. It is not the best solution for my house.

15kw system boiler and 150 litre twin coil unvented cylinder is.

, and before you get all high and mighty about Atag. Corgigrouch and I have far more experience of them than you.

Here is a Q60s we fitted and commissioned last week:

I just done a s3x wee looking at that pic :eek:

i quite like vented thermal stores with mains pressure hot water.

not a big fan of unvented to be fair, but thats cus most of my stuff is for landlords, who don't service ANYTHING

Sponsored Links
I think its a bit strange that the automatic answer for a lot of people is to shoot down a combi as crap.

I usually give my customers this example (me), which is someone living on their own, in a well insulated 2 bedroom flat, no occupancy during working hours (which are not always fixed), 20 degree target for about 4 hours a day, and a shower running from the 30kW combi, who doesnt have to worry about when the hot water is on to have the shower (my favourite thing about a combi) who has a gas bill of £20 a month.

the fact the boiler may be cycling etc and not rated low enough for heating doesn't bother me, even if it would save me 50p a month on gas.

the bottom line is that combis are great in certain situations, and wholly inappropriate in others. having the ability to recognise those situations is what its all about as far as making customers happy goes.

in my opinion etc etc

Exactly. In this case a large flow combi will do and save all the excessive expense and breakdowns of a system boiler and unvented cylinder. You are right, do not put a wet finger in the air.

So you reckon 25l/min of tepid water is worth the cost of the boiler and moster gas pipe; and quite possibly the cost of fitting a U16 meter?

No, my little deranged friend... the only loser here is your good self., Everyone else has scoffed at your ideas.

And I see you have given up with your "figures" :LOL:

So you reckon 25l/min of tepid water is worth the cost of the boiler and moster gas pipe; and quite possibly the cost of fitting a U16 meter?

No, my little deranged friend... the only loser here is your good self., Everyone else has scoffed at your ideas.

It is clear you have no idea of a large combi in action. A U6 can take approx' 62 kilowatts of boiler. You would specify an expensive U16 when there is no need to because you use a wet finger in the air. This is typical of the "plumbers" today.

The trouble is the combi is only really suitable for singles or couples, may be young families too but only with one bathroom...any more and they are not fit for purpose..

Another wet finger in the air "plumber". Stick to drains. I see you have no experience whatsoever of large combis. A professional would seek out these products and get to know them and not go by tittle-tattle at the trade counter where many are seen waving their arms around.

See Dan this is the trouble with fitting ATAG's, because ********s like this think they are now superior because they've got something vastly different to Mr Jones next door :LOL:. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Combi's are not much less complicated than a cylinder.

They still have expansion vessels, diverter valves, PRV's OH stats, by-passes.

All you are loosing is a TPV, pressure reducing valve (maybe) and a second EV (maybe).

It is clear you have no idea of a large combi in action. A U6 can take approx' 62 kilowatts of boiler. You would specify an expensive U16 when there is no need to because you use a wet finger in the air. This is typical of the "plumbers" today.

Add a couple of gas fires, and a Cooker.

Oh yes prince numbnuts. Your average freestanding cooker can take 16kW or more.

And a house big enough to justify a 50kW boiler is going to have a pretty nifty cooker don't you think.

Or perhaps you've installed this behemoth in a studio/bedsit somewhere because the customer wants a reeeeaaalllllyyy good shower?

Fantastic.

Christ. I've just checked my hob - and that pushes out 7kW on its own.

I agree, they have their place - but too many plumbers seem to have some sort of implant that makes them immune from consideration of other options. We've seen in this thread, yet again, how some people are proud to state that they won't consider all options when designing a system :rolleyes:
I know what you mean. The wet fingers think anything above one bathroom precludes large quality combis. Try having a body jet shower and see how big the cylinder will have to be. A large is the only sensible solution.

You are right. Most here go on old wives tales and wet their wet finger. Their knowledge of products available is scant. As you are well versed in thermal stores - and an amateur!!!! A well designed thermal store will do a body jet shower and never run out of hot water reverting to what the boiler can deliver when the cylinder runs out of heat. The cylinder does not to be as big and any unvented cylinder.

Guys, have you ever heard the phrase "Never wrestle with a pig because you both get dirty and the pig likes it"?

I have. Thanks for your tip.

But the pig hasn't got an ATAG boiler...... He thinks that he knows all about combis but doesn't know what model he has...... Is it a white one unlike your finger which is probably brown..You really shouldn't go sticking it up there you know....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back