Conventional gas boiler not fully heating water

The cylinder is copper with a good thick insulated jacket. It is in the airing cupboard directly above the boiler - literally 2ft from top of boiler to base of cylinder

Does the insulation have a plastic wrap? Or is it more modern solid foam?

It might be the cylinder is scaled up.

Sponsored Links
I noticed you live in Bedfordshire, know it well! A very hard water area. If your boiler is maybe 20 years old, I suspect the cylinder and pipework is much older. Water moves slower in gravity systems and you may have the problem I had years back with a Potterton Neataheat boiler where the heating coil in the tank was furred up preventing / restricting water flow and therefore heat.

I don’t think there’s an easy fix for that, we only found out because our cylinder developed a leak and had to be replaced - new tank, scolding water!

I’ve got your email, you remembered me from a previous post! That’s some memory

The photo you emailed me (shows a bright red jacket) confirms there’s no valves or thermostat. My last suggestion, furred up, seems probable

Last edited:
you could have a blocked cold feed, if you bleed the upstairs rads does water come out ok ?

Sponsored Links
here’s the rad in the bathroom which is part of the gravity feed
yes that is normal with gravity HW, sounds like you have some kind of restriction in the gravity system, either air or as said a problem with the cold feed

Apologies to the form, I know this chap from private messaging we’ve had in the past. He’s been mailing my tonight about this problem and as I’ve now been answering him on this forum, I’ve inadvertently been answering some of the questions being asked of him - I get carried away at this time of night

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back