Convert 2 single garages and door openings into one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - any help would be much appreciated please.
First time poster - competent DIY'er

I've seen other posts relating to this issue but all concern gable ends. My existing garages are flat roof with a single brick wall in between the 2 single doors (built well over 20 years ago (not by me) and never a problem) Started life as one garage then another was added later.

I'd like to convert to a single door opening and would appreciate any advice regarding a lintel. Viewed from outside the garage, looking at the door(s) the openings are both 2315mm wide with 110mm single wall in between = 4740mm wide with 230mm of brickwork either side (overall building width of 5200mm). The roof rafters run from left to right on top of 4 brick courses reducing to 2 brick courses over the width to give the pitch. Nothing else (besides the roof) is being supported.

The existing rafters stop\start again on the single wall in the middle and they are all being replaced as well as getting rid of the middle wall and the corrugated asbestos roof sheets. I'm thinking of doing a GRP type roof over 18mm exterior ply boards so the roof itself really won't be too heavy at all.

So, after all my waffling, what should I be using for a lintel?

Anything else I should be bearing in mind? Does anyone have an opinion on the pros\cons of angled rafters\roof (to provide required water run-off) versus horizontal rafters and firrings?

Hope to hear from you soon!
Regards
Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back