Converted cellar now smells, help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have owned a Victorian terraced house for 7 years, it has a great converted cellar with 3 rooms. The front one has been kitted out as an office with lovely built in desk and storage

My cellar now smells and I have had to move everything from the cellar to the other room as it is ridden

It started about 6 months ago after the electric company dug up my drive to replace the old wiring!

I think they have damaged the gutter down pipe which is directly outside the area affected!

What should I do as the desk etc is also damp now!

Thanks

Adrian

Sponsored Links
If you suspect a pipe is damaged then it needs to be repaired, however proving the electric company caused the damage may be more difficult!

Hi tony

Thanks for the reply but, it's not just a desk it's a whole office, at a cost to replace of approx £3000

I will be contacting the electric people and informing them of this situation

Thanks

Adrian

Sponsored Links
Below ground rooms always smell musty and are rarely free from damp.

Unless they are originally built or converted to an extremely high spec' (££££) then expect a damp musty environment.

Proving the electric company is liable will be difficult and costly.

It may be worth contacting one of those "no win, no fee" lawyers. Utility firms often agree to a bit of compo' rather than go to court.

Hi tony

Thanks for the reply but, it's not just a desk it's a whole office, at a cost to replace of approx £3000

I will be contacting My Household Insurance and informing them of this situation

Thanks

Adrian
That`s what you wanna do - otherwise , do you really want to battle a Privatised National ( foreign owned) Utility :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back