converting 2 single sockets into a double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In my kitchen I have 2 single sockets right next to each other in a dual back box, I always thought this was odd but having taken it off I understand now.

Both sockets have a seperate feed and both have a spur, one goes to another double socket and the other goes to the central heating timer.

Now I would like to convert them into a double socket but obviously It's not great to stuff 4wires into one terminal so what is the solution here for the Diy guy?

Or do I have to continue with the dual single?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Both sockets have a seperate feed and both have a spur, one goes to another double socket and the other goes to the central heating timer.
Do you know if these two single sockets are part of a ring? Is there a cable joining them, as well as the 'separate feeds' to each of them? If they are not part of a ring, you may well have a bit of a problem already.

Kind Regards, John

There is no cable joining them together that I can see, they are certainly getting power from the same fuse as the other sockets at the front of the house

I don't know how it is then routed from there. both feeds go down the wall under the floor at the same place.

What problem might I be facing? hidden junction box?

There is no cable joining them together that I can see, they are certainly getting power from the same fuse as the other sockets at the front of the house ... I don't know how it is then routed from there. both feeds go down the wall under the floor at the same place. ... What problem might I be facing? hidden junction box?
If there is no cable joining them, then it's very unlikely that they are part of a ring. If the underlying circuit in question is a ring, then those sockets are likely to be spurs from that ring - in which case the spurs which already exists from those sockets will be 'spurs from spurs' - which is, in itself, contrary to current regulations.

If you want to proceed, I think that you probably need an electrician to establish, by testing, exactly what is the current configuration of the circuit, and hence advise on what can/should be done. You certainly cannot just join together the separate feeds to the two sockets in the manner in which I think you were proposing.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Everything is the same in this house.

I understand spurs from spurs are against regulation, it's been like this since we moved in approx 15 years ago, and it was all installed probably around the 70's, at least the central heating timer is fused correctly.

I'll leave it as a dual single for now and get a sparky in when I can.

I understand spurs from spurs are against regulation, it's been like this since we moved in approx 15 years ago, and it was all installed probably around the 70's, at least the central heating timer is fused correctly.
You are, of course, under no obligation to bring your installation into compliance with current regulations. However, the moment you start doing anything to the circuits, that can be a different matter.
I'll leave it as a dual single for now and get a sparky in when I can.
There's something to be said for having two singles - which actually provide a greater potential (safe) total load (the maximum for a double is around 20A, not 26A).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back