converting a loft for some light storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1977 end of terrace house and I wish to put in some wooden flooring and plasterboard my rafters so to make a little room about 2.5m square. There is already a hot water tank of some type up in the middle of the loft.

Will my rafters support boarding out and also will the floor support the weight of chipboard flooring and the load placed upon it. Each joist is about 60cm wide.
If any further information is required please let me know what you need.

Thanks,

Paul

Sponsored Links
You sure you're not talking mm rather than cm ?

There are standards and regulations that have to be met by building control if you are going to be doing a structural conversion.

The standard sized joists for a domestic dwelling I believe are 7x2 (inch). There are 8x2 (inch) also available and you may have to use these instead if your room spans over a certain distance.

Get pro advice before you attempt to rip anything out and especially don't touch the rafters.

Consulting a structural engineer would be a good idea.

The standard sized joists for a domestic dwelling I believe are 7x2 (inch). There are 8x2 (inch) also available and you may have to use these instead if your room spans over a certain distance.
No, no, no, no, no!!! Centres, stress grade, partition/roof loads, trimming, trimmer, trimmed??? No wonder the swl tables were removed from Building Regs ffs :rolleyes:.

Consulting a structural engineer would be a good idea.
A necessity. Do not go titting around with the roof until one has had a look for you and advised you what is required. By one I don't mean me (although I would be quite happy to, dependent on your location :LOL:), I mean one of my species.

If it's 1977, then it's highly likely you have a trussed as opposed to a cut roof. Do-able, but more care required, both at design stage and subsequent construction. You say the joists are about 60mm wide: might be that you've already got attic trusses (assuming it is a trussed roof), in which case you're laughing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back