Plasterboarding the loft

adm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of planning a project to get stuck into over the next few months and was hoping if any one can keep me on the right tracks or input any advice and tips on my project, We live in a mid terraced house that has had the loft floor boarded out with t & g chipboard on cross battoned joists on top of original joists and all well insulated the floor measures 4m wide by 4.8m long and the thing i am thinking of is to plaster board the section out, just to make it tidy, fixing it to the rafters on the roof and fixing vertical struts from the floor joists up to the rafters just to afix the plaster board to, to form the walls, the main questions would be should i make some of the plasterboard as removeable panels so as access can be gained into the loft that is not been plasterboarded out, as the plasterboard would be fixed to the rafters and not the full width of the loft will i still be ok about the air flow to stop condensation etc. and finally i do not want to contraveen any regs etc so would this be ok just to get on with or would building regs come into it the loft is purely for storage only and not for any type of habitable room. sorry for the length of the post but their was no way of condensing it and hope i will get help and advice on this project.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
".. i am thinking of is to plaster board the section out, just to make it tidy, fixing it to the rafters on the roof and fixing vertical struts from the floor joists up to the rafters just to afix the plaster board to, to form the walls,.."

Which section ? I can't see where you say anything about it. How wide ?

plasterboarding it will make it look like you want it to be a non-compliant habitable room. The plasterboard will probably get damp. Have you considered fixing a white or silver insulating material instead? Remember to allow plenty of ventilation or you will get loft condensation, especially if anyone in your home drapes wet washing on radiators or banisters.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply JOHND when you say about ventilation it is a new roof we had put on in 2008 with a roof window and 4 x air vent slates if that is what they are called with 2 at the back and 2 at the front, so we should be getting the ventilation ok i think with what comes through at the eves as well ?? what do you think. and if not using plaster board what would you suggest ??

Starting to think more into this project and have decided to go along the following route unless anyone has any better ideas or tips,
vertical struts from joists to rafters to form wall sides to attach plaster board to and then attaching plaster board up the rafters so their will be a 50mm gap between the plaster board and the roof rafters which will i hope unless i am wrong will still allow sufficient air flow around the loft via eaves and the 4 x air vent slates we have in the roof and fitting a couple of vents into the plaster board when finished to allow air flow insde the boarded out part of the loft which i am thinking of doing,then finally just filling all joints etc and emulsioning out, does all this sound ok ???

May want to consider using MR plasterboard. 4 slate vents may not be enough, on loft conversions I normally spec 3 each side as close to the ridge as is practicable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back