converting Australian plugs to UK

Poh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how to convert appliances with an Australian plug to UK plugs - in particular those which come with manufacturer fitted plugs (ie can't unscrew them). Thanks

Sponsored Links
easy, cut it off and fit a UK plug. I say this because acording to this site Australian electricty is the same as ours (230v ac 50 hz)

:!: you can only do this if it the same as ours :!:

You can just replace the plug but be aware that some plugs now have RFI components ( basically an R.F. Filter ) built into them and replacing with a standard plug removes these components. They will work but may cause interfeance to T.V. and radio Etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
Have cut the cord and there are only two colours - blue and brown (ie no earth wire). I presume I just fit these two and hope it will work without the earth wire? The old aussie plug only had 2 prongs instead of the usual three.
:)

thats right brown - live , Blue - neutral
by the way what equipment is the offending plug connected to?
Just a thought.. I was in OZ for a few years and at that time all appliances had a moulded plug on. In Queensland where I was a person had to have a special licence to BUY let alone fit a replacement plug.
I have a Tradesman Radio certificate but even so could not legally fit a mains plug :cry: :cry:

I worked once in a small electronics prototyping lab.

I was allowed to work on mains powered equipment, including VDUs wherin you find 10's of KV, stuff with motors and sharp wirlygig finger manglers and so on.

But the day the fuse in my soldering iron went and I replaced it I nearly caused a strike - mustn't do that, sunshine, that's an electricians job.....

Thats another thing about Australian plugs.... No Fuses...Nearly as bad as our European neighbours ( but weve been here before I think :evil: )

Surely you just turn them upside down ( don't call me Shirley).

:D
ah yes... every aussie plug I've seen is moulded and don't have fuses (which is why you always end up blowing a fuse and losing power if you have too many things going at once... all foreign to a woman let alone being 'allowed' to do it!).
btw - It's connected to a lamp.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back