Converting felled trees to wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone done this? Is it worth the hassle? I don't know much about wood floors, and have only ventured as far as engineered in the past.

I found this youtube video and it's clearly a lot of work, but I found some local mobile sawmills who I could potentially approach.

I am getting a huge ash tree and a medium-sized walnut felled, and wondered if I should consider keeping the wood for this purpose. I have no open fire and live in a clear air zone, so can't burn any of the wood.

Sponsored Links
It needs rough cutting soon after felling, then stored with laths to space the planks. It needs to be kept reasonably dry for 2-3 years. If you have the space to store it then it is feasible. I know I do not have space for that! If you look at the price of walnut it might be worth doing?

Thanks Mike.

I just did a quick Google for solid walnut flooring, and it is very spenny!! Retail price looks like very roughly £150ish / sq m. So might be worth me doing.

I rang a local mobile sawmill guy and he says it's not worth him coming out for one tree (his day rate for the mobile sawmill is £450, I think he said), so he suggested that he could collect and deliver (£40 each way), plus maybe 2hrs on the sawmill at his yard @ £70/hr for initial planking. Then I guess I'd need to get it tongue & groove milled and planed to a useable finish at a later date.

He said you don't get a lot out of walnut though, as only the darker heartwood is good for flooring - the outer lightwood is too soft and sappy, and prone to woodworm.

So, £250ish to get me halfway towards hopefully a room's worth of solid walnut flooring. Maybe same again to get it finished??? So, as long as I get more than 5 sq m, I'm quids in. We shall see!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back