Converting garage - replacing garage door with french doors!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have to build up to the damproof course in the garage to fit french doors, can anyone tell me if it is acceptable to build the bricks straight onto the garage floor (which is damproofed) or do you have to put footings in just for two bricks high?

Also, does anyone know about ventilation in a habitable room that just has french doors in it as there is no other place to put a window?

We know about applying for building regulations and we are going to, we just want to know what to expect.

help much appriciated..cheers

Ian & Sue

Sponsored Links
susandan said:
Also, does anyone know about ventilation in a habitable room that just has french doors in it as there is no other place to put a window?
What sort of roof have you got ? pitch ? etc ....
susandan said:
We know about applying for building regulations and we are going to, we just want to know what to expect.
To be honest, the best way is to pop down to your building control department for a free advice. Take a rough drawing with you what you want to do. Believe me this is a lot less hassles this way as you're doing the way they want it done. I have seen many time when people have to altered the work correctly.I know the answer to this but I rather you hear from them.Good luck.

ps: don't be frighten of them !!! They are there to help you.

It is a flat roof!

We just want to have some idea before going ahead, there is no way we are going ahead first without getting building regulations ect...we want the job done properly!

Which bit do you know the answer to? footings or not?

Cheers

This is one of many difference type of window for flat roof
d.jpg

Garage footing normally 450mm wide x 750mm deep but in your case maybe less as you're having window/door and they may suggest a cavity wall or Celcon blocks with dpc 150mm above ground level and dpm to stop rising damp in floor area. Like I say there're many ways of doing this so keep your building inspector happy :D

Sponsored Links
We have a 6m x 6m detached double garage; we had the garage door replaced with french doors earlier this year. We have gone through building regs to ensure that if we sell we'd be OK. The inspector was great, nothing to be afraid of; in fact it was reassuring that we had the work OK'ed.

It looks great; although we still haven't completed this insides though!!! If you'd like a look email me and I'll send you some pictures

Hi Peebs

Love to see some pics if you have any, just been to pay our building reg frees so getting started soon.

don't know how to e mail you so here's my address - [email protected]

cheers
Ian & Susan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back